New Alpha CB28 micro switch

The diverter cannot be in any other position but the positioned to deliver water to ch port

The diverter valve can be in either of it's positions as determined by the hydraulic actuator.

The switch has an NC and an NO position.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Since DP asked

A switch fitted to this diverter is operated by a shaft while the diverter is in said rest position. The switch in this operated mode is in the OFF state
That is a bit confusing to an electrican. A simple push switch is ON when operated, operated = the operating lever, button or pin has been pressed.

The diverter cannot be in any other position but the positioned to deliver water to ch port

The divertor could be stuck in the DHW position if the spring did not return it to the CH position when the DHW flow stopped afte the last time DHW was needed

Is the actual switch a three teminal micro switch ( or similar ) ?

Not really a good design if the boiler fires up if the switch is removed from its normal position on the divertor valve while still connected to the control PCB. But no doubt cost constraints require minimum component cost

Bernard you don't understand this boiler which is a little unusual in the way it works. So your comments are irrelevant.

Not helped by DP and others describing the switch as on and off.

There is only one correct way to describe a switch technically and that is NO or NC.

Tony

There is only one correct way to describe a switch technically and that is NO or NC.
Totally agree.

Add to that the term "quiescent condition" for any spring return momentary switch and the confused get more confused.

As I see it the boiler fires up on a remote contact closure calling for central heating or when this switch is de-operated by the divertor valve moving into DHW position.

The divertor moves to DHW postion when water flows towards the hot taps.

Using the divertor valve to switch on the boiler does save the cost of fitting a flow switch in the hot water supply line.

Sponsored Links
!!!

The divertor could be stuck in the DHW position if the spring did not return it to the CH position when the DHW flow stopped afte the last time DHW was needed

Bernard, when describing a boiler operation, its normal ( and indeed common sense ) that the boiler is described with everything in it working correctly!

When I worked in Doha, Qatar, I had a "staff" from Pakistan who had little or no experience of electronic equipment. They were recruited because they were cheap! So for their training I would "put faults" on equipment and let them try to find them. But to be kind to them only one at a time!

Tony

Last edited:
That would probably be pushing the envelope for Bernard, Tony.

Perhaps just leave the casing off and see if he spot that without a Google.

Does Tony ever admit he may be a little off the mark? Tony So you are going to go with NO and NC designation. Switch gets fitted to the diverter. Now the NO contact is in fact NC because that is the rest configuration IN CIRCUIT.

Great. Well done. Now in your attempt to discredit others and create smoke screen, and you have created configuration only you might understand

You have yet to explain how this diverter is going to be in position you indicated in earlier post

Re Doha, I wonder if there is independent evidence of what you say.

Bernard, a switch out of circuit, as it comes in a package would be described as NO of NC, to a lay person on or off. In circuit it would need to be shown as in rest position which confuses NO or NC designation

In 25 years I have been repairing boilers, this type of diverter valve I have yet to find in HW mode at rest. Some, I am sure Tony, will contradict me:whistle:

Of course the diverter valve in this model rests in the CH position as do all that I have ever seen with a hydraulic actuator.

Switches, as supplied come in NO and NC configurations. The designer then chooses how they are to be deployed.

In most safety critical applications the designer will use an NO switch to activate a circuit when it is operated.

It is not necessary for this thread to explain the unusual way this model activates the switch.

A general lack of understanding by engineers, as well as the oversensitive mechanical design, probably results in a lot of switches being replaced unnecessarily on this model.

Tony

Sir you are contradicting yourself regards the diverter.

Re switch, it is drawn in circuit in idle state. That remains a fact, not what you say!!

The thread is about a particular appliance so everything on how it functions is important

What you say about other engineer's abilities is your perception only, not fact. Have you forgotten the pipe flattening advice by yourself? Clearly a no no technical/ engineering practice, again your perception but not practically factual
How is the boiler design mechanically oversensitive. I do not see it as such. Looks like you do as your contribution to this thread is contradictory at times.

What has upbringing got to do with discussion? There is no nastiness or swearing. Clearly we are discussing a boiler and how it works. I have reread the posts on this thread and found your earlier responses way off the mark. When a poster asks for help, any advise given has to be pertinent to the topic and helpful to the uninitiated otherwise it is of no use to them. Your upbringing is not pertinent. Contact designation i.e. NO, NC or C perhaps too technical to someone who is not technically minded, but they will always understand terms like switch being on or off.

Last edited:
Ian, I looked at your post again

The switch either makes or breaks the circuit.
The new switch, you are correct, is working in reverse.

Sir you are contradicting yourself regards the diverter.

Re switch, it is drawn in circuit in idle state. That remains a fact, not what you say!!

The thread is about a particular appliance so everything on how it functions is important

What you say about other engineer's abilities is your perception only, not fact. Have you forgotten the pipe flattening advice by yourself? Clearly a no no technical/ engineering practice, again your perception but not practically factual
How is the boiler design mechanically oversensitive. I do not see it as such. Looks like you do as your contribution to this thread is contradictory at times.

What has upbringing got to do with discussion? There is no nastiness or swearing. Clearly we are discussing a boiler and how it works. I have reread the posts on this thread and found your earlier responses way off the mark. When a poster asks for help, any advise given has to be pertinent to the topic and helpful to the uninitiated otherwise it is of no use to them. Your upbringing is not pertinent. Contact designation i.e. NO, NC or C perhaps too technical to someone who is not technically minded, but they will always understand terms like switch being on or off.
What is it you are actually saying DP????.....that Agile is a pompous ****t?

Adam, all I am saying is tony keeps moving the goalposts while wearing blinkers and blames others of not understanding the game plan. Then he keeps losing sight of the ball and bemoans to the audience how unfair his fellow players are:LOL:

The microswitch when released or off the diverter, will fire the boiler for hot water.

Hence in the un-operated position the switch is closed. It therefore safe to assume that this "switch" ( which appears to be an assembly of switch, fixing horseshoe bracket and a two core cable to a plug ) is normally closed ( as when delivered in the package ) but "normally"open ( quiescent condition ) when fitted to the divertor valve and there is no demand for hot water.

The new switch, you are correct, is working in reverse.
It would appear that during assembly the two core cable has been wired to the wrong terminals on the actual switch.

Hence in the un-operated position the switch is closed. It therefore safe to assume that this "switch" ( which appears to be an assembly of switch, fixing horseshoe bracket and a two core cable to a plug ) is normally closed ( as when delivered in the package ) but "normally"open ( quiescent condition ) when fitted to the divertor valve and there is no demand for hot water.

It would appear that during assembly the two core cable has been wired to the wrong terminals on the actual switch.

What am I supposed to make of your quotes here. What part of you description do you feel, I do not comprehend Bernard

If above is aimed at OP, I totally agree with what has been posted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back