New boiler------Powerflush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing from a vented system to a pressurized system, is it essential to have a Powerflush to get rid of all the cr*p in the pipework or can I rely on the fact that the system will be connected to the mains and flush it all out that way?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not forgetting the terms of the boiler manufacturer's guarantee, which may stipulate/demand a power flush.

Sponsored Links
Look in Wooster and grant mi book it gives a BS no to clean it to and it can affect the warranty.Bob

I am sure the terms of the warranty for my new boiler is it had to have a power flush when installing.

Hmmm. I think that I am none the wiser. My central heating pipes are full of gunge but the pipework is buried in the concrete floor. What bar does the powerflush normally run at and can you adjust the pressure on it?

Hmmm. I think that I am none the wiser. My central heating pipes are full of gunge but the pipework is buried in the concrete floor. What bar does the powerflush normally run at and can you adjust the pressure on it?

Yes get it powerflushed. An average house would take a good 5 6 hours. Heavy sludge may take longer
Ideally with the heat of the existing boiler. This to me is a major part of the instalation so pick your installer wisely. Best keep clear of the big boys.

Have a look on Kamcos website they will give you plenty of info.

Old & cold

Different installers have said different things, Powerflushing with warnings about leakages etc and then just using the mains water to flush out.

Old & cold

Different installers have said different things, Powerflushing with warnings about leakages etc and then just using the mains water to flush out.

Best to power flush with hot water.
It's true it can create leaks on weak joints. But these are waiting to leak at some point so best it leaking while you have a plumber on site.

He can use new boiler for heat but he has to do in such a way as to not flush through the boiler until maybe when the neutraliser has been added

As per Bids.
I am changing from a vented system to a pressurized system, is it essential to have a Powerflush to get rid of all the cr*p in the pipework or can I rely on the fact that the system will be connected to the mains and flush it all out that way?
Thanks

As per Bodd, PF does not CAUSE leaks, but does potentially highlight existing or pending problems.
PF does NOT operate at high pressure, contrary to popular belief, it is the velocity that makes the difference

Avoid any RGI that says that the high pressure of a PF will cause problems and then quotes for a conversion to pressurised. Think about it :)

BS says the system water can be considered cleaned adequately when a turbidity meter is used to calculate and compare the total dissolved solids in fresh water out of the kitchen cold (mains water) and the newly cleaned system water after cleansing but before any inhibitors or additives are added. The reading of system water should contain no more than 10% additional dissolved solids than the mains water. More than 20% requires more flushing. Between 10 and 20% it doesn't say!!

BS suggests powerflushing with a machine and chemicals, chemicals and a mains flush or chemicals and a gravity flush, it doesn't stipulate the method, the end result is the thing to look for.

Just do it; you've had good advice here.

Fireman
I understand what u r saying. I thought that powerflush would be running at a higher pressure than the mains but it looks like that is not the case.
Thnks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back