New build, socket in cupboard under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this even allowed?
Under sink is a socket. Here's the back of it.
2w523k2.jpg

Is a socket in sink unit allowed?
If so, is that wiring legit?
Doesn't looked fixed very well either.

Sponsored Links
Of course it is allowed. Where else would you plug in your waste disposal unit?

Sockets under a sink are allowed.

The wiring is poor - the grey outer covering should enter the box without any of the inner cores visible.

Hmmm...surprising. I just thought sinks...leaks...plug sockets...not a good mix.

Sponsored Links
The wiring is poor - the grey outer covering should enter the box without any of the inner cores visible.
It is "should" or "must", according to the regulations I wonder though?
I wouldn't do that myself, as a complete novice with electrics. I would not expect to enter a brand new build house and find that - are they allowed to do that?

Depends where it is sited, I have had to change more than one socket which has been dripped on by a leaky waste pipe

It is "should" or "must", according to the regulations I wonder though?
Must.

I would not expect to enter a brand new build house and find that - are they allowed to do that?
Basically, yes.

The way they have done it re the sheath is unacceptable, as is screwing the socket to a sheet of hardboard and not having any cable restraints - there are multiple contraventions here, but the basic idea of having a socket there is not one of them.

Last edited:
Had to be suitable for the environment it's installed so I'd say it should be positioned where a direct leak is unlikely. Plus the obvious one about the sheath.

Under a sink is fine.
If you are concerned about the “suppose there’s a leak” thing, then you would never fit a ceiling pendant light.

Yes but why tempt fate if you can avoid fitting a socket under a waste pipe coupling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back