New CH Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if any one can help with a bit of info!!
My elderly in laws are having a new CH installation, the contractor that is doing the installation, said that the Regs say that the original back boiler (which has not been used for about 20+yrs) must be removed!
Is this correct?.
At present there is a gas fire installed, which would have to be removed first,
they also say they will not re-connect the fire afterwards,or make good the fireplace, This seems wrong in my opinion!!

Has any one views on this,

Sue.

Sponsored Links
We dont have "ideas"!

We just know the regulations as do your contractors.

Making good the hole is builders work. Either you can get your builder to do it or the installer can and add it on to the CH work.

Tony

The fire front cannot be used without being fitted to the back boiler unit.

If they want to keep the fire there is no problem if the BBU is decommissioned and drained, preferably with wiring disconnected and thermocouple removed.

Perhaps no one replied as quick as you liked because strangely enough we do have to go to work :eek: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,
Maybe I did not explain properly, the back boiler I am trying to describe is the old coal fired one,which was fitted when the house was built circa 1950.
The gas fire is fitted in front of the old fireplace.
The question is Do the regs say that it has to come out? or can it be simply decommisioned by draining.

Thanks
Sue.

Thats a completely different matter! We asumed it was a gas back boiler as still in use in over 1 M homes.

There is no reason I can see for not leaving the old back boiler in position but it must be disconnected and drained.

I cannot comment on if the gas fire is safe to use or not as I have not sen it. If it has been safe until now then I dont see why it cannot still be used in the future.

Tony

if the back boiler is left in place make sure the pipes are left open - must not be capped off

Thank You all,
Just thought the in laws were going to have a building site on their hands,
make sure the BB is disconnected and drained.

regards
Sue, :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back