New fuse box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an electrician round today to sort a problem with the lighting circuit in our extension built in 2006. Looking at our fuse box which I believe to be RCD with a separate breaker for both the cooker and the shower he commented that:

1. The extension wouldn't have got through building regs with this fuse box (we have the building certificate provided by the former owner).
2. That it could be an issue if we are using high powered garden equipment
3. When I asked him if he would be able to fit a new socket in a room, he said he could, but not to the current fuse box.

Just wanted to check if his concerns are real, we have only been in the house for 6 weeks and if there are problems, we need to chase this up with out solicitor.

Fuse box.JPG

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It does say on the front 'circuits not covered by RCD' and then lists the circuits, he is right, you do not have an RCD.

He's also right that he cannot add new sockets to the board without adding RCD protection. There are other ways to do it, but often changing the board is a tidier (if more expensive option)

There is the option of changing the main switch for an RCD but this is less than ideal as any fault will kill all of your power, a board with two RCDs would mean you only lose half power

Thanks. My question would be then- should a 2006 extension have been connected to this box? I have a buildings regulations certificate in front of me, but the electrician seems to think it should not have passed.

Sponsored Links
Is there no RCD protection elsewhere for the additions?

Just been doing some research, 2008 a regulation came in saying new installations should be connected to an RCD, so I guess we are okay- probably explains why the previous owner never had extra sockets put into the bedrooms.

As suggested, is there an RCD somewhere else covering some or all of this?

In 2006 it would be thoughtless not to include an RCD on a shower or sockets, particularly those likely to be used for outdoor use.

Have a look for a seperate RCD possibly serving all of that board.

Pointless going through a solicitor anyway. If you need RCD protection you may be able to get RCBOs to replace some or all of those MCBs.

See what it costs, it may pay just to change the whole board for a metal one (that's what they are now) with some form of RCD protection.

... it may pay just to change the whole board for a metal one (that's what they are now) with some form of RCD protection.
A new board would very probably be the most sensible (and may even most cost-effective) approach, but is not the OP's existing one actually metal ('before its time'!)?

Kind Regards, John

That board was current 16th edition practice when your extension was built. It can be added to as long as the protective devices used are the same and there are available slots.

17th ed came in in 2008 and requires rcd protection. That then becomes a whole new ball game.

Things have now moved on yet again and requires all new installations or consumer unit replacements to have a non-combustible enclosure.

There are all kinds of scare stories out there aimed at profit margins but the bottom line is that you can still pass a wylex rewirable box if its electrically safe. It may not be convenient to use on a daily basis but if it works there is no obligation for the customer to change it.

Sorry, you seem to be right. I have not found any yet.

I can only find the tall GE RCBO's.

That board was current 16th edition practice when your extension was built. It can be added to as long as the protective devices used are the same and there are available slots.

17th ed came in in 2008 and requires rcd protection. That then becomes a whole new ball game.

Things have now moved on yet again and requires all new installations or consumer unit replacements to have a non-combustible enclosure.

There are all kinds of scare stories out there aimed at profit margins but the bottom line is that you can still pass a wylex rewirable box if its electrically safe. It may not be convenient to use on a daily basis but if it works there is no obligation for the customer to change it.

That's what I've read, so the electrician was talking rubbish when he said the extension shouldn't have passed its safety certificate!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back