New fuse box?

Sponsored Links
The rest of us did (and that was all sockets including those not likely to be used outside) and also electric showers etc.

I do believe you are incorrect.

With respect to socket outlets My BLUE OSG for the 16th (includes AMD 1) says

RCDs must be used on:

• socket outlets circuits in TT systems
  • on all socket outlets that may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment used outdoors
  • socket outlets in a room...........containing a shower cubical
it does not say anything about RCD protection for other socket outlets.

I can go and dig out the full 16th regs book, but I am certain that is says the same.

I do believe you are incorrect.

With respect to socket outlets My BLUE OSG for the 16th (includes AMD 1) says

RCDs must be used on:
I'm not incorrect. I never stated that it was REQUIRED for all socket outlets. I said that's what everyone with a modicum of common sense did.

I never stated that it was REQUIRED for all socket outlets. I said that's what everyone with a modicum of common sense did.
In that case, times have probably changed. My impression is that, today, a high proportion of electricians do whatever the OSG suggests, regardless of considerations of common sense.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not incorrect. I never stated that it was REQUIRED for all socket outlets. I said that's what everyone with a modicum of common sense did.
I do hope that we are not heading into a BASgate situation here!

MAybe my computer misses out some of the words that you have typed, but nowhere do i see that you stated "that's what everyone with a modicum of common sense did."

You have not said anything like it.

You challenged scousespark's post where he said
Under the 16th I don't recall RCD protecting all downstairs sockets and certainly not all socets..net If we did then there would not have been the fuss when the 17th edition came into force.

Note, he quite clearly states his recollection is under the regulations in force at the time. Not the OSG, not best practise, not even common sense.

Under the 16th all socket circuits did not require RCD protection, with the exception of the instances that I listed above. Please give me the reg number in the 16th that says otherwise. I have my copy right here.

I do hope that we are not heading into a BASgate situation here!

MAybe my computer misses out some of the words that you have typed, but nowhere do i see that you stated "that's what everyone with a modicum of common sense did."

You have not said anything like it.
If you read what I stated it was that almost everyone did it for all socket outlets. That is not the same as suggesting that there was any requirement for this. If you cannot see this then there is little hope for you.

Most of the developed world would have been appalled at the notion of not RCD protecting any domestic socket circuits for about the last 30 years! It is a case where the IEE Wiring Regulations have been behind accepted good practice in other places.

Across the border I would be expected to issue a "Notice of Potential Hazard" (similar to an Electrical Danger Notification) if I found socket outlets not protected by a 30mA RCD and where the owner declined having one fitted.

In the days of the 16th, lots of people had a RCD-protected socket next to the back door, for use in the garden, and/or the garage, for use on the car.

RCBOs were not used much, so it was often the easiest and cheapest way, with little risk of nuisance trips, for sockets that could reasonably be expected...

Maybe it was different in Londonderry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back