New Garage Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am going to be installing a new socket ring main and lighting circuit in a garage, does anyone have circuit diagrams that I can use?

I need to have a lighting circuit with 3 fluorescent fittings with a switch at each end of the garage and 6 double 13 amp sockets spaced around the garage, there is an existing SWA cable feeding the garage and a 2 way fuse board which I think I will replace.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Ralph

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi, I am going to be installing a new socket ring main and lighting circuit in a garage, does anyone have circuit diagrams that I can use?

I need to have a lighting circuit with 3 fluorescent fittings with a switch at each end of the garage and 6 double 13 amp sockets spaced around the garage, there is an existing SWA cable feeding the garage and a 2 way fuse board which I think I will replace.
  • For a circuit to supply a <thing> (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

• What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?

• Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

• What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

• What are the rules for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

• Do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of extraneous conductive parts?

• Which circuits must be RCD protected?

• Do you know what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

Any help would be appreciated
Quite honestly, anybody who needs to ask for a circuit diagram to be able to install a ring final is a long way away from being competent to actually do a job of the magnitude you describe.

Of course diagrams of ring finals (and other circuits) showing how they work, along with an explanation of how they work, and why they mean that you can have a protective device rated at more than the capacity of the cable, and how you work out what R1+R2 are for them etc are a useful part of a learning process.

But the key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

And what if you fail to ask about something you don't know because you have no idea you don't know it, and no idea it even exists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back