new light help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ve got a new light to put up but im nit sure how to remove the existing white plastic circle next to the roof, i thought it would just unscrew but i doesnt. any ideas

DSCN0158.JPG

Sponsored Links
nice if you made picture smaller, the ceiling rose is covered in old paint, run a sharp knife around where it meets the ceiling

and note my signature

there doesnt seem to be any paint ive just had another go but in wont move at all.

it should unscrew unless someone has done a right bodge

if you cannot unscrew it you may have to break it open with a hammer but make damn sure the power is off first

Sponsored Links
Have you tried pushing it up and turn it at the same time ?

Hey, I am sure I've seen this thread on another forum this morning... :LOL:

cheers tried pushing up as well and it eventually went click and then came off really easy. i even managed to install the new light, and it works. thats the first time ive changed a light.

right a further quesion on another light, more of a wiring question this time

1st question. ive simply removed the platic cover that was there before and put up the connector for the new light, and have reconect the wires into the block as they where is that ok?

2nd ive paired up the coloured wires on the new light and am going to connect them to the relevent block is that right?

3rd the new light doesnt have an earth wire just a point. the house earth is quite short could i connect to the block as it was and then have a wire of the block to the earth point on the light?

cheers

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0160.JPG

What you propose is fine, but I can only see 2 terminal blocks inside that plastic strip, and you need 4:

Live
Neutral
Switched Live
Earth

Also you need to cut the wires inside the light back and remove more of the black sheath, and this time be more careful - you have quite clearly cut through the inner insulation, quite badly in one case. This is dangerous, and must be rectified.

cheers mate. there are 3 blocks in the terminal. there are two 3 way ones and one 2 way one. ive put the two reds into seperate holes on one of the 3 way blocks and the 2 blacks into seperate holes in other 3 way. i think this was how it was before but im not sure. im doubting myself.

but thinking about it that cant be right as that would leave the 2 way one empty and there was something connected to it before. oh bugger i should have been more careful when i removed it, i think i got a little overconfident.

If I understand you correctly you have 2 pairs of red/black.
Therefore

(1) One of the blacks is a neutral (connect to blue flex)
(2) The other black is a switched live ( connect to brown flex)
(3) The two reds are simply connected together
(4) Earth connections

Do not connect the two blacks together, you need to trace which one of them is the switched live

Your new light DOES require an earth, it is near one of the black cables on the fiting.

The conector strip you are using is 'theived' from the old ceiling rose?? Use proper connector blocks, the one you are using will fall apart if not with its pendent base!!

And from what I can see there won't be enough clearance between the light fitting and the ceiling for the connector blocks to live there - you'll have to push them back into the hole.

In which case you're going to regret having to shorten the flexes that are part of the lamp. How are they fixed to the lampholders? They probably have those horrid C&N push-in terminals, but if they are screws you might find that replacing the flexes is easier.

cheers all done and works fine. i got a new block and just paired up the blacks from the house and connected them to the blue on the light. and paired up the reds and did them to the brown. there was plenty of room in between the roof and light as the dish if that makes sense is quite deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back