" New Shed"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all......

After a bit of advice, or even pros and cons, with regard to building a workshop.

.....Wood, or concrete block.

Was hoping for some unbiased advice, from all the diyers, and builders out there, as the best way go.

The size will be 12 x 10, in old money, I've got no building experience, but am a keen diyer / tryer, and part of me, would like have a go, at a project, of this type.... but possibly need pulling back to reality.

Has any body got experience of building something like this, were they could offer, any constructive help, regarding cost, effort, foundations, longevity, ease.... or difficulty etc

What are your thoughts ? ......

Sponsored Links
i'm embarking on a similar project in the coming months. I've opted for concrete block construction with a rendering over the top painted to a yet to be decided colour, with an off the shelf window and door. Wood maybe easier to work but will it last as long and be as secure as concrete (im thinking if you are storing tools equipment etc) too many factors to consider especially budget.

Also worth considering how much equipment you can get for free or reduced off of auction sites and local freeads. Builders leftovers can often be had for free if you are willing to go and collect

my shed is 12x10ft i built it 11 years ago pictures now 10 years out off date lol
now fully lined and insulated with a wood burner in the corner where the ryobi table saw is in the picture
2 coats off ducksback every 3ish years no decay what so ever cost about 2.5k-3k without the wood burner but well worth every penny :D
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bigall2005/media/e1e47346.pbw.html?sort=3&o=15

Sponsored Links
nerox/ big -all..... thanks for the comments....appreciated.

Was thinking of concrete blocks, mainly, for security, fire resistance, and possibly, longevity....... but not sure at moment, what type concrete block,I should use.....solid or hollow etc, and should I use a different type, for lower course, damp proofing.

Apex,pent.....not sure on the roof type either !!

So many questions....suppose it will all slot into place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back