Noise from Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have plastic pipe work installed and when the toilet is flushed in the en-suite a noise similiar to a fog-horn occurs. The only thing I have done to the cistern is to add a Water saving device ( plastic bag type) to try and save some money on the water bills.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice and I have changed the ball valve and it is still occuring. Not only that its now doing this on the other cisterns. I think its more to do with the water pressure / somehow air has got trapped.

Any suggestions on what I could do to remove trapped air in plastic pipes?

Cheers

I don't think it's trapped air.

I assume from what you say that the water is supplied at mains pressure, and not from a tank.

it might be that you have unusually high water pressure and/or you have fitted the wrong kind of ball valve. Did you observe a "high pressure" cone or restrictor supplied with the new valve before you fitted it? It would have been mentioned in the instructions. If it's due to water pressure, you will find that turning on a cold tap makes it quieter.

Was there any sign of dirt, rust or grit in the pipe when you took off the old valve?

the other thing is that you may have loose pipework which is vibrating. Try gripping the pipe firmly in your hand. if this helps, fit pipe clamps to hold it to the wall and prevent the pipe vibrating.

You can also get a Torbeck or other equilibreum valve, which is a few pounds dearer than the old style ball valve, but is extremely quiet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick advice, and yep it was the water pressure from the mains. Everything is working normally now

Thanks once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back