Noisy condensing boiler when firing up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ravenheat CSI primary, fanned flue boiler (12 months old)
9 radiators fitted with Rad valves.
Manual bypass, cracked just open, (if I open too much, rads don't get very hot)
System was power-flushed at installation and has inhibitor in the system.
Pump running on setting 3, have tried setting 2, no real change.

Every time the boiler fires up, there is a noise like a bandit dive-bombers coming in at 12-o-clock (I used to love those old films when I were a lad)
It has always done this, but more noticable when the heating is on.

Getting to be worse than Chinese water torture - no joke though...
Any Ideas??????

Sponsored Links
get the installer back, and contact corgi if he does not fix it. do not reduce pump speed

get the installer back, and contact corgi if he does not fix it. do not reduce pump speed

:rolleyes:

The boiler is 12 months old and unlikley to be covered by the installers guarantee. If its done it since new then it should have been reported then not a year later.

If your installer has been made aware previously then conctact Trading Standards not Corgi.

I have a Ravenheat CSI primary, fanned flue boiler (12 months old)
9 radiators fitted with Rad valves.
Manual bypass, cracked just open

a MANUAL bypass?? 9 rads with trv and no roomstat? My guess is that the benchmark is either not filled out at all, or the measured results are suddenly way off. no benchmard = AR

Sponsored Links
Was the installer CORGI registered?

If you chose to use an illegal installer then you should not expect him to be able to do a good job or to have any clue how to properly commission the boiler.

Presumably you bought the boiler yourself in a shed and someone with a first name and mobile phone number fitted it and you paid with cash and no receipt?

It seems that now you are going to have to pay out again just to get the boiler properly commissioned.

Tony

It seems that now you are going to have to pay out again just to get the boiler properly commissioned.

Tony

Uh oh, that is bound to get some mailing going Tony. Hot topic with corgi cracking down on rogue installers. I have heard and read a hundred opinions on this but nobody seems to know exactly if you can commission somebody else’s work or not. I have definitely not found anything in the GSIUR that states explicitly it is illegal to do so.
Who knows the REAL answer to this, and where can we find the particular bits of legislation that underbuild this?
I had a chap a while ago who was done by a builder who had contracted the heating part out to someone who had hired a temp to `help out` Nobody wanted to know and no one was responsible of course. The house holder was of good faith and asked me to rectify what was wrong and was happy to pay for it. he was also quite happy to pay me for a belated commissioning but I let that part go as I did not think it was not legal to.

There is absolutely nothing to stop any RGI from commissioning any boiler!

Its far better that its safety checked and commissioned properly.

The only thing that CORGI ask is that the name and address of the illegal installer is advised to them. Of course in practice its very unlikely that the installer is known by anything other than than a first name and a mobile number.

The only thing that an RGI MUST not do is to "sign off" and notify CORGI of the installation as if its his installation.

Tony

The only thing that an RGI MUST not do is to "sign off" and notify CORGI of the installation as if its his installation.

Tony

in which case, how do you get your notification? apart from user safety issues, is that not the crucial bit?

He is talking rubbish . This form not filled in is not a reason to AR a boiler

He is talking rubbish . This form not filled in is not a reason to AR a boiler

You could argue that a boiler without a benchmark has not been tested properly and could have an output far higher than it is designed for and therefore is unsafe.
Every corgi inspector I have met has been very knowledgeable about regs to say the least. At the end of the day, their job is to enforce safety regs so I imagine they spend a fair amount of time training in the how and what of this. If I had to place a bet on a the outcome of a dispute, my money would be on the corgi inspector. I am not aware of many occasions where corgi lost a case.
Having said that, judging by the estimates of gaswork being carried out illegally in one way or the other, they are not infallible.
I am in no way an expert on the grey areas and from the many discussions on this forum it has become clear that very few of us are. Interesting though, as you never know when you find yourself in a position where sound knowledge of borderline cases can help you get out of a tight spot.

I think that I can explain this.

A boiler that has not been commissioned is "At Risk" because the operating parameters have not been checked. It might be Ok but until it has been checked its potentially at risk of being dangerous.

If the benchmark is not completed there is no evidence that it has been commissioned ( as thats what the Benchmark does).

To Ben, if the boiler has not been installed by a CORGi then there can NEVER be a notification to CORGI. ( Unless a CORGI removes the boielr and reinstalls it! )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back