Now I have a programmable room thermostat....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I was very kindly and quickly helped yesterday with an installation question for a programmable room thermostat - all now in and working!

It is one where you can program different temps for different times of the day. Prior to this, our boiler was programmed to go off at night for example.

So, my question is, thinking of economy, now that we have this new thermostat, should we leave the bolier on 24x7 (in terms of the Central Heating) and just use the new thermostat?

Or...does leaving it on use more gas? i.e. does it still the heat the central heating water, even if the thermostat is down low?

Thanks again in advance kind people!

John

Sponsored Links
So, my question is, thinking of economy, now that we have this new thermostat, should we leave the boiler on 24x7 (in terms of the Central Heating) and just use the new thermostat?
I assume this means that you have left the existing timer in place and set it to CH always ON. If so that's OK, the programmable stat will control everything.

When setting up your new programmable stat, set the last time/temperature to a low temperature, e.g 2300hrs - 10°C. The boiler will then go off at 2300hrs and stay off until the morning; it will only come on if the temperature drops below 10C.

One setting for programmable thermostats is to drop the temperature by just a few degrees at night. In cold weather, the heating can come on in the night but in mild weather it will stay off. This will help the house warm up quicker when needed. I've noticed that the house will warm up by 4°C in half an hour but can take several hours to warm up by 8°C.

The timer and the thermostat are often wired in series, so there is no difference between being off on the timer or the thermostat.

So, if you sometimes feel cold at night, you can use the thermostat to stop the house getting too cold. If you don't feel cold then you can set the night temperature to 10°C for 'frost protection'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back