Ocean Alpha 240E - HW Cutting Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - any suggestions appreciated:

Boiler fires up to supply hot water but after a little while it shuts down and water runs cold. It then restarts and this cycle continues - my wife goes mad in the shower - so please help!

Done already:
Adjusting front panel HW thermostat - no difference.
Replacing HW divertor value diaphragm (had drip from front of unit) - no difference.

Sponsored Links
Why would replacing the heat exchanger stop the boiler shutting down?
The issue is that the boiler cuts out repeatedly. When it is fired up the water is plenty hot-enough - so the heat exchanger is doing its job fine.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help with reasons why they think the boiler is behaving as described. EliteHeat's response above is not helpful as it provides no explanation.

Thanks.

do you not find you radiators heating up when hot water is drawn, very common problem with these usually because the HE is blocked

Thanks for tip - replaced DWH temp sensor and normal service has been resumed.

*** Note: Other users of this site - read this trail and take note - people are prepared to make random suggestions - so take them with a pinch of salt especially before you spend any money!

You probably had a sensor which went open circuit when it became hot. That is not very common. They more often go open circuit.

Some people may make suggestions to you which turn out not to be the fault in your particular case, but they are only trying to be helpful.

Tony

I have EXACTLY the same problem with my ocean alpha 240e. Can I ask how much it cost to replace these sensors and has it been fine since?

Just because it appears to be the same fault doesn't mean it is...fluctuating water temperatures can be due to a variety of reasons.

Contact Alpha, they may have a list of engineers familiar with your boiler. Just swapping random parts is not the route to repair.

You can quickly measure the resistance of the sensor.

On test you can replace the sensor with a fixed resistor (@ 3 p ) and then measure the sensor as the boiler heats up.

Only try that if you are competent !!!

As the sensor is a cheap part at under £20 its a cheap DIY try. But as Geoff says above there are all sorts of problems which can give similar symptoms.

In our local area we would charge £84 to diagnose the problem plus about £13 for a sensor IF that was the problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back