Odd question about foundations but quite relevant to this project

I find it amazing that people are even allowed to hire one and play with it without any training. Presumably building sites wouldn't allow it, people could get killed.

Clay is different, most people don't want it. Mine was fluffy black topsoil and a bit of sand. Even so, you may be able to get the digger driver to relay it to where a grab lorry could take it from. Alternatively a self-drive dumper truck or powered wheelbarrow would do it. Just be prepared to pay for longer for the digger if he ends up waiting for you to come back.

Sponsored Links
I find it amazing that people are even allowed to hire one and play with it without any training. Presumably building sites wouldn't allow it, people could get killed.
Building sites require Paperwork to show training and (supposed) competency. Having seen some of the alleged 'Operators' working on some sites it does beg the question who deemed them competent....

I recall a story from a couple of years back where a Guy with 30+ Years experience went for a job on a major road project, driving plant, and was turned away because he didnt have the right piece of paper. The Lad who did get the job had the right piece of paper, but it seems little experience, as he managed to tip his machine over, resulting in the entire job being shut down for several days whilst the Powers that Be investigated what had happened. (Defying the laws of Physics was a rather large clue....)

According to the driver I got, many newbies end up stranded, as they dig a trench across the route they needed to take to get back out again. That's when they end up in the trench or just caving it all in and making a right mess.

Buy a hi-viz shirt/jacket if getting a digger in. Best if they know where you are, and always stay one boom length away in any direction, they need to be able to rotate without worrying about you.

I hand dug mine and took it all out the front through the garage with a wheelbarrow.

They were 3.3m x 9.5m x 1.2m deep in clay.

Wait for some dry weather.

Good fun...

Sponsored Links
I got my digger training years ago. It was about 2p a go IIRC, in the arcades in Torquay when I was about 5.

Circular motion with the levers, the pedals are self explanatory. You're welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back