Oil boiler on lockout after new motor fitted

Not wishing to say "I told you so" I didn't think moving the Tigerloop would make any diffrence!

hope the new oil pump does the trick, ! ;)

Sponsored Links
If the pump has gone naff since November, get the engineer to check the supply pipe, especially where any joints have been made for the moving of the tank. Fuel starvation will cause a new pump to fail like this one!!

jesus. would of been cheaper buy a new burner. oil can be unforgiving. does make me laugh when you get someone saying oil boilers are easy to fault find.

If there are fuel supply problems, then a new burner will not cure the fault.
Oil is not difficult if you have patience and a logical approach to the job.

Sponsored Links
Engineer watched fire up with the burner out so he could see ignition sequence and to check if oil was gettin to it and as he though it is definitely to do with the oil supply.

He did say that he found the filter on the pump had been fitted upside down

New pump being fitted tomorrow. Still on intermittent lockouts for now.

Engineer popped in but it was working fine Thursday of course so he didn't put the new pump in.

Playing up again now with black smoke on fire up from the flue and reset taking more than a couple of attempts.

Give me strength.

This is bloomin' ridiculous......black smoke from the flue means incomplete combustion - usually due to the pump pressure being too low although I once had a faulty nozzle doing the same thing.
I'm sorry and actually embarrased that this has been left this way!
What did the engineer do apart from not putting the pump in?
(Which I think would have sorted this)
John :)

Alas I am away on holiday so left to my husband to sort out - of course didn't get sorted out at all. I would have insisted new pump be fitted. He has no interest in anything to do with running the house.

No black smoke when engineer round on Thursday and my lovely husband could not be bothered to call him on Friday when it was playing up and smoke coming out because (in his words) just about managing to look after the kids.

So will need to wait till I get home for new pump to be fitted and hopefully all will be sorted.

New pump fitted, worked for two days but locked out this morning.

Back to square one.

:cry:

Just locked out again fired up for literally a second then went to lockout.

One press of reset and its back up again

Just to add into the mix...

The new tank that was fitted, was it top outlet or bottom outlet?
Had top outlet tanks with gundged up non return valves in the past, instead of the pipe staying full it drains back into the tank.

Are you 100% sure the tiger loop stays full of oil at all times?

It's bottom outlet and alas yes the tiger loop always has oil in it.

Engineer is going back to manufacturers for advice. I guess we will get there in the end. Still cheaper than paying for a new boiler so hanging in there.

As the other lads have mentioned, you can generally hear a motor problem, id be checking that pump again.
Ive had a grant boiler recently that needed a couple of pumps in quick succession, fair enough a different make of pump.
Does sound like oil supply issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back