Oil boiler on lockout after new motor fitted

So this morning we had lockout and the motor started humming on first reset but fired up on second restart.

How can the motor have gone wrong? It was replaced a month ago.

Sponsored Links
Its nearly 25c outside why are you turning it on?

So this morning we had lockout and the motor started humming on first reset but fired up on second restart.

How can the motor have gone wrong? It was replaced a month ago.

Gawd square one beckons again :eek: You must be tearing your hair out - if you've any left by now.....
When you say the motor hums, we assume that its not actually spinning.....could you confirm this please?
If it won't spin, its either the capacitor, motor itself, or a pump thats hard to turn.
Its just a thought, but I wonder if the right motor was fitted.....common ones are 60W and 90W - most of the differences being the motor length.
I've no idea what the result would be if a 60W motor was fitted instead of a 90W - maybe the others would come in here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
John,
I have seriously lost the will to live with this boiler. Have been tempted to take a sledge hammer to it :cry:

It was my husband who reset it this morning so I am not sure about the motor spinning. He just said it made a humming noise and didn't fire up but it may be that it just didn't ignite.

Will call engineer (my 3rd one now) tomorrow and write back with developments.

Thank you so much for all your advice. Being able to rant on here has kept me sane.

Premila

Yes, thats what we need to know.....if the motor is humming (but not spinning) its one of the faults I mentioned above.
If the thing is spinning, but locks out after around 6 sec due to non ignition, then we are back to the fuel supply I guess.
Its pretty unorthodox but I'd like to see this burner started up from cold on a morning on a bench to see if it misbehaves then.
We await the update!

The problem could be a Capacitor fault, or a tight spot on either the Motor or oil pump, (both these have been replaced) HOWEVER ! and I know I have mentioned this before has the pump drive coupling been changed???? it may well look OK, but even a small amount of wear can cause the motor to lock up causing the symptoms you describe

www.elanar.co.uk are authorised Thermecon Service agents for the whole of the south-east and have factory trained engineers ;)

Ok so engineer just been and lo and behold when he pressed reset the damn thing fired up fine. (I had left it on lockout from this morning). He started and stopped it several times (at least 10) and couldn't get it to lockout - typical.

He checked the motor wasn't sticking, he checked the pump drive coupling and that was fine too.

He has changed the solenoid and the capacitor as he did here it was taking a while get going (there is very little left on this boiler that has not been replaced). See what happens in the morning.

He may well have checked the drive coupling BUT did he change it????
they only cost £1 personally I find it difficult to visually inspect one of these :confused:

Place your bets.....
I've always found knackered drive couplings make a racket or at least a strange noise, Rick?

the problem with those close coupled motor pump drives, is that the motor shaft grooves the two lugs on the coupling, not enough to see (without a magnifying glass) but enough to cause a motor stall - i was caught out on a riello G5 last winter - I won't get caught again not for a £1-00 coupling!!! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back