Old BT Junction Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a house where everything is very very old, so i'm upgrading everything. I had it completely re-wired.
Now the BT wire comes from outside into an old black junction box, I've managed to locate the exact same on on a telephones information site. Apparently the box is a 1950's junction box. From here it goes into a socket on the wall.

I want to change the junction box as it looks really bad. What is the current day hardware that I need ? Do I still need a junction box or can it go direct to a master socket ?

Any advice would be great.

Marvin.

Sponsored Links
You can but will need a new length of cable from telegraph pole which have to be done by a BT engineer unless the old cable is longer enough to put a new junction box on the inside of the soffit. Best to give them a ring as you may find the junction box belong to BT and they may renew it free of charge.

I maybe wrong but I think the BT engineer always put junction box in so if the cable snapped or damaged, it's easier to renew the cable.

One other pointer as to the age of the JB is what it has written on it. A 1950s JB will have "GPO" on it, for "General Post Office".

If there isn't an actual problem with it, you may have trouble getting them to replace it.

Where can I get hold of a new junction box ?
Can they be picked up from somewhere like homebase or wickes ?

Cheers

Marvin.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back