old cast iron bathtub- overflow pipe issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cast iron Victorian bathtub that I want to restore/ use, but it has some issues. I would love some insight on how I can fix this.

The previous overflow pipe is bent and someone has added concrete inside. image attached.
I need to attach an exposed overflow pipe to the bath - something like this.
How should I go about it? should I cut off the current overflow pipe? if so, how do I then attach the new overflow pipe as the instructions say screw on, which obviously wouldn't work for this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• a3923b03-bb1a-41c1-94d4-6a7098c6374d.JPG
    a3923b03-bb1a-41c1-94d4-6a7098c6374d.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Take off the old one

You will find the bath has a round hole. Polish off the rust and old sealant

The overflow fits in the hole, the inside half and the outside half clamp together with the screw, using large rubber washers to seal.

As above remove old overflow fairly normal to have to cut them off at back of bath. Hacksaw multi-tool grinder whatever!
When you connect pipework be sure to include double check non return valves essential with globe bath taps.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of getting the bath re-enamelled, do it before its installed, and the holes (taps, overflow, waste) should also get some new enamel. If you do it after installation, they won't.

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for the advice. So I should just cut the old overflow pipe off with a saw and then connect the new pipework via soldering it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back