Old house

romchik said:
Thank you ban-all-sheds.I have about 1 month before i start on rewiring.
That's probably not long enough - you have a lot to learn.

The rewiring in a house was done about 15-20 years not sure.Each room has only 1 double sockets wich is redicualas.The sockets are in wrong places.So i decided that it will be easy to rewire than try to move old one and add some other 1or2 rings.The CU and clock are in the hall but i want to move them under stairs every wire need to be moved under stairs.That is why i decided to rewire.
OK.
But you must not, under any circumstances move the electricity meter yourself - it is not your property and you may not touch it. And if you're on a tight budget, get a quote from your electricity network operator for moving it before you do anything else - you may find you can't afford it.

unfortunately i can not read all that books.
Then unfortunately you aren't going to acquire the knowledge you need...

That is why i am here and i thought that on this forum i could get help.I need to rewire only one my house and i can not learn all of it for one month.I assumed that i could asked here.But all i get is -read yourself and learn.
Yes - because you must learn. You cannot undertake a task of this magnitude without knowing and understanding what to do. You cannot do it by asking questions as you go along - you might not ask the right questions. You might not ask the questions that you should. You might think you know something, and be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Gus220 said:
2.5mm2 for rng cct
What if radials would be more suitable for some of his circuits?

When do you plan to tell him about bend radii, notching and drilling joists, the use of grommets, how to strip sheaths without damaging the inner insulation, installation methods and how they affect cable capacities, grouping and conduit factors, what the designated zones are for concealed cables etc etc etc?

Ban don't worry, it's easy. And you do not need any books for reference. Must be true, my mate gus said so.

So either help or shut up.

Who needs Part P?

Sponsored Links
Roman, If you are still around, think about this. This is YOUR property we are talking about. YOUR family, YOUR lives.
No doubt Gus thinks I'm being melodramatic, but

YOU NEED TO DO THIS RIGHT, and Gus's attitude is a bit cavalier to say the least.

You need to be well informed, and as others have said before me, know WHY you are doing it in a certain fashion. Anyone can install cable parrot-fashion, but they are only copying or following instructions. You need to know the whys and wherefores of installation. For Gus to say you do not need to read any books is downright irresponsible.

And what Ban wrote in his last post is absolutely spot-on. There is a HECK of a lot more to a re-wire than just chucking in some cables and whacking stuff on the end of them.

As the saying goes, it's your call.

Electricity is dangerous. It really is. To attempt an electrical job without taking time on the design, then proving the design is appropriate - well that is simply negligent.

As gooders pointed out, if something does go wrong and you have to claim on your insurance and it turns out that the work wasn't undertaken to the requirements of BS 7671, the insurer is unlikely to pay up.

Finally, you may find it hard to sell your house if it turns out that you did the work yourself and you can't proove that the work was carried out to BS 7671.

--
Michael

I was not going to move CU and meter by myself.The lights working perfectly.The reason i was going to do rewiring is to move/add sockets.Because last rewiring was done 15-20 years i thought i better change it then to move old sockets.....
And i do care about my family!You are complicating things.It is not that difficult like you make it sound!

romchik said:
You are complicating things.It is not that difficult like you make it sound!

It is difficult to get it right.

Do you know the tightest radius of bend allowed in a piece of 2.5mm cable?
If you don't and you make a bend too tight, the work won't comply with BS 7671.
If you make a bend too tight, you reduce the current-carrying capacity of the cable and might cause the copper to fracture or break.
If any of those happen, the risk of an electical fire is much greater.

The same applies to most of the items that BAS listed above - not knowing the details can lead to incorrect installation which usually leads to an increased risk of electric shock and/or fire.

I hope you see that we are not complicating things to make it seem more difficult than it really is or to scare you off. I simply want you to be aware of how to do things safely. That means taking the time to learn and understand.

--
Michael

romchik said:
And i do care about my family!
Then listen to what people are telling you.

You are complicating things.
No we are not.

It is not that difficult like you make it sound!
If it's so easy, then why did you come here asking the most basic questions like what cables to use, and how many circuits to have?

If it's so easy why didn't you realise that you needed to tell us whether you have a TT supply when you asked what sort of CU to use?

If it's so easy, why do you appear to be confused between RCDs and MCBs?

If it's so easy, why didn't you realise that you needed to tell us what the rating of your hob is before anybody could tell you what size cable to use?

You came here thinking it was easy, and that you could do it without having to learn anything, and when you were told that you were wrong to think that you started telling us that we were wrong, and were "complicating things".

Why ask questions if you aren't going to accept the answers?

You still did not give answer.All you do is trying to prove me how dengerous it is .Thank you mate i do know it myself.I have explained that rewiring was done 15-20 years ago......
Do i need do it at all?
I finish debating about how dengerous it is.
So if you are can help then help!If you can not then do not type at all please!
We all know how dengerous it is!

romchik said:
Do i need do it at all?

What type of cable is it?
Does it have a BS code?
Does it have a date?
Have you inspected the cable for signs of damage or deteriation?
Have you inspected the rest of the installation?
Have you tested the installation as described in IEE Guidance Note 3? What were the results?

These are the questions an electrician will ask themselves and provide answers to, so that they can make an informed, logical determination on whether a site requires a full rewire, partial rewire, minor remedial work or no remedial work at all. It is a methodology that they follow - they cannot arrive at an answer without following that methodology.

So you see, only when you have answers to these questions could they (I) even begin to advise you on whether you need to carry out a rewire.

--
Michael

[edited]

I do not know all the answers.....
I live in north London N4 area could anyone advice me reasonably priced electrician to have look at it?
Thank you

romchik said:
I do not know all the answers.....
I live in north London N4 area could anyone advice me reasonably priced electrician to have look at it?
Thank you

A reputable electrician will normally take an initial look at the job and provide advice free of charge. Expect to pay £35-£80 for an inspection report (called a Periodic Inspection Report) but not all electricans offer this service - so check before the electrician visits you.

You may find that the buyer will ask for a PIR when you sell your house. You may even be able to talk your insurance company into giving you a small discount because you have a PIR that states your electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition - you never know.

--
Michael

romchik said:
You still did not give answer.
YES I DID

Your question was:

could anyone please tell me is it possible to do it yourself if you are comfortable with electrics but not a electrician and if it is direct me on the right way.

And I directed you on the right way. The right way is to learn about it.

I finish debating about how dengerous it is.
So do I.

So if you are can help then help!If you can not then do not type at all please!
You're beyond help.

We all know how dengerous it is!
I don't think you do.

i think your advice went a bit over the top bas

i would advise starting with the easy stuff rings lighitng cuircuits etc and moving on to doing the calculations for any special appliance cuircuits later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back