Old house

But Roman came here talking about a complete rewire and new CU - there isn't really a "later" with that...

Sponsored Links
You are CLOWN ban-all-sheds and behaving like child.So grow up and if you are here to help people you should help.And if you are helping,try to read all posts with attention before you type your learned phrases.

Roman - look around you. You are the only one here who is getting upset and throwing insults around.

Ban HAS read your posts with attention, but you don't seem to want to hear what he is saying.

PLEASE - get hold of those books - if cost is a factor, I'm sure your local library could help with finding them.

Once you have learned a little from these books, why things are done in a certain manner will become clear.

We welcome you returning to the forum to help you answer any queries of electrical installation you may have.

Sponsored Links
romchik said:
I do not know all the answers.....
I live in north London N4 area could anyone advice me reasonably priced electrician to have look at it?
Thank you
That was my last post wich meant i was not going to do it all by myself , but ban-all-sheds still was continuing to talk to himself about risks and danger of electricity.........
Any way thank you for your help.

well,
if hes not going to listen let him go and kill himself
and his family
neibours
ect
let the firemen risk their lives running into the building to save him

because its easy'

and for anyone who is wondering why im taking this view

weve just started a rebuild, i would say renovation, but its been taken to the ground, on a house that was diy rewired and it caught fire.
it took everyone with it.

if you have any sence, you wont try it

sad loss, but that is why i pointed out in the first reply to this thread. as my late father used to say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, sadly it cost several lives.

Any one who has a trade makes it "look easy" but it does take years of practise and skill to make it so.

romchik said:
romchik said:
I live in north London N4 area could anyone advice me reasonably priced electrician to have look at it?
Thank you
That was my last post wich meant i was not going to do it all by myself , but ban-all-sheds still was continuing to talk to himself about risks and danger of electricity.........
Any way thank you for your help.
But you posted that reply about looking for an electrician after the one of mine where you complained that I was still going on about the dangers.......

This one was typed on 9 sep at 1:01pm (by me)
romchik said:
Thank you
This is your post after mine on 9 sep at 4:23pm
romchik wrote:
You still did not give answer.

YES I DID

Your question was:

could anyone please tell me is it possible to do it yourself if you are comfortable with electrics but not a electrician and if it is direct me on the right way.

And I directed you on the right way. The right way is to learn about it.

Quote:
I finish debating about how dengerous it is.

So do I.

Quote:
So if you are can help then help!If you can not then do not type at all please!

You're beyond help.

Quote:
We all know how dengerous it is!

I don't think you do.
<shrug>

There's probably no point in trying to explain this, but...

This one was typed on 9 sep at 1:01pm (by me)
romchik said:
Thank you
This is your post after mine on 9 sep at 4:23pm
romchik wrote: <- You made this post at 12:06pm - before the one about getting in an electrician!
You still did not give answer. <- and it was a reply to my post at 11:42am.

YES I DID <- so what I'm doing here is responding to your totally unjustified complaint, made at a point in time before you had mentioned getting in an electrician, that I hadn't answered your question, which I had.

Can't argue with that!

Me thinks that this post is now put to bed........!

You are there's probably no point in trying to explain this, but...
The way i see it is
Considering my last post i changed my mind to do it myself.
So if the last post contradict with the one before it i think you suppose to concentrate on last one.
Sorry for my bad english.....
I am not argueing just trying to explain......

Dear me. what a roomfull of screaming queens!

Ive been reading these posts for a year now. No one EVER mentioned radius of curvature on a bend before. Hardly a top priority when giving advice about rewiring a house. The whole lot of you could have been less touchy and more sensible.

Top suggestion quite correctly, read old posts. A whole house is loads and loads to find out if you have never done this before. It is virtually impossible to give a sensible short answer to how to rewire a house. The books would tell you, but everything you need to know is on a bulletin board if you read enough old posts.

Next best suggestion, get someone in who at least knows a bit about it to give you some advice.

Third suggestion, not sure if anyone said this, if it is really only 20 years old, then the wiring itself should be ok. This stuff ages quite well, so it may be older than it appears. Suggestions about how to tell if it needs work would occupy a whole topic by themselves. All the cables should be pvc, all should look the same (so no one has already been changing it). If you examine the socket ring wiring, the core of the wire should be a solid 2.5mm^2 copper wire. If it is several strands, or tinned (white coloured), then it is older. If there is no earth wire in the lighting circuit, then it is older.

Fourth, look at what is there. You would learn most of what is needed to rewire by looking closely at what is there already....particularly if it is less than 20 years old.

Fith, your suggestions about additional circuits. 9 sockets did not seem a lot to me for one floor of a house. 3 double sockets per room might be reasonable for a small/average room, but I can think of a big lounge with 9, a kitchen with kettle toaster microwave fridge radio tv video iron, plus the big power cooker washing machine tumble dryer. need to know how big a house before advising, but arguable one ring up, one down, one for all sockets in kitchen. Radial for cooker, maybe radial for fridge/freezer which is NOT protected by RCD device in consumer unit. I hope that either you already knew, or by now have found out, that a ring circuit goes from one socket to next to next and back to start at CU again. A radial is one cable from CU to whatever to whatever and stops. These are just things to think of more questions about.

I would take a wild guess you are not from the UK. People ahere are maybe a bit more sensitive about DIY than you are used to. This is particularly so because regulations here are about to change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back