Old house

Please note that you were able, until earlier this year, to buy 2.5.sq.mm. single core cable with seven strands, (6491X), in red and black instead of a single core, so that does not necessarily mean the installation is old...

I personally bought some last year to wire inside plastic trunking.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ah found it
"But I know what you mean, any thing above 2.5mm is a ***** in a tight space. Bend radius and all that. "

Can see how that passing reference got past me. Real flashing warning sign, that one.

Damocles said:
Can see how that passing reference got past me.
Yup - it's 'cos you weren't paying attention, or didn't know that bend radii needed to be taken into consideration.

Real flashing warning sign, that one.
Seems perfectly in keeping with the discussion about the merits/difficulties of using 4mm² cable. Anybody installing cable knows that there are minimum bend radii, or should know or they have no business doing it - that was the point of me mentioning it here.

for christs sake,i'm no electrician & would'nt attempt to rewire a plug :LOL:
so why does'nt roman just say what she going to do NOW,no if & buts or yes or no's.and say something like "thinking of replacing dbl socket & were it is at present including condition/wire used/were situated etc.. then i'm sure you will get alot more help from this forum. :)
its like me saying "gonna strip down & completly rebuild a 5.3 ltr v12 jaguar engine :eek:
unless i'd had previous mechanical training i'd just take it one day at a time.
its quite amusing reading this post from a outsiders point of view ;)
one last thing roman,if you don't agree with whats being said just don't bother posting anymore replies coz these people ARE trying to help you if you listen & let them

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
its like me saying "gonna strip down & completly rebuild a 5.3 ltr v12 jaguar engine :eek:
unless i'd had previous mechanical training i'd just take it one day at a time.
Probably not as fast as that - spells of inactivity required whilst your skinned knuckles heal ;)

And I bet you haven't thought about the planning involved in removing the efficient but soul-less injection system, and replacing it with 6 twin-choke down-draught Webers with chromed trumpets protruding through an aperture in the bonnet, have you.....
smack.gif

Please do roman; how's it coming along?

reckon theres more parts in a jag engine than a house wiring installation

Moving a little bit , thank you Damocles.At the moment i am in progress of designing all rooms of the house. When i will plan all rooms then i will know exactly where do i need sockets ,lights and how many....
i am looking know for information on what do i need to do to be able to put TV cable in a few rooms but using one antenna....

for the tv all you need is a rf splitter which accepts the aerial signal and outputs it up to 4 seperate rf signals,i'd recommend a good quality exterior aerial though but some splitters come with boosters to improve picture quality.

Depends how strong the tv signal is to start with. Another thing you might like to consider is taking the aerial to your main TV position, then going through your video/cd/satellite machines. Then run the output from everything through to the rest of the house. That way you can watch any of this stuff in different rooms.

Only works if the equipment gives you rf output, some stuff now only gives a scart output to pipe directly into the tv or next machine. But you might set it up so the main Tv gets direct scart connections but you send the spare modulated signal round the house. Next you can add your own camera and have live video feeds......?........ get one of those short range transmitters and have video link with the neighbours...?.....

Thank you guys for you help. I may come back with more questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back