P A T testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls,
Could you clarify something for me as our portable leccy equipment has just been done on it yearly inspection to be informed that it now has to be done quarterly. I had a look on internet to see if I could find out more but nothing concrete.
Anybody point me on the right direction so I can find out if someone is taking the mick.

Cheers D

Sponsored Links
Its been a while since I did my training so I might be well out of date but... there are very few times and dates in the regs. Its all down to what is considered reasonable. A quick skim through the link above, there are suggested initial intervals (eg 6 months - 1 year for hand held equipment) but it then advises you should develop your own testing, ie if you rarely find any issues than maybe you can scale back, if you are always finding something than maybe do them more often.

3 months seems a bit frequent, is your equipment heavily used and abused?

Sponsored Links
For non hire equipment normally we have between 3 months and 4 years this will vary according to condition of equipment and environment so on a building site a electric drill will be tested every 3 months and in an office the PC may be tested every 4 years.

It is up to the tester to say how long before the next test. But this would be in agreement with the equipment manager who will keep all the records and look for any trends.

From company to company this will vary. One I know considers a failure of any equipment once to be a breakdown, twice to be a trend, three times then something should be put in place to stop further breakdowns. I think this is a bit extreme but it seems it works for them.

As a manager I would suspect the work was not being done correctly if all equipment was given the same time period and would want to know why it was all the same. This may be because with varying periods items have been missed! But I would want to know why all the same.

I have had many an argument over testing. To me all items need testing, however some items need special testing for example a washing machine pump will only run at the end of the cycle so one can't really test the machine with a standard PAT tester but it would require some dismantling to test. The normal guy who does PAT testing is likely not trained with all makes of washing machine to do this. So the washing machine is put on a maintenance contract and is tested by the guy trained to work on that machine. The same likely is true of the dishwasher, Freezer (If frost free) and many other items. Also some items are hard to test for example the hand drier which will likely need disconnection in order to test it.

Many so called PAT testers will be very selective in what they test and will for example only test items which are plugged in and are considered as portable. (18kg or less or on wheels)

It is then up to the manager the manager is defined as:-
Managers

Managers of premises and of inspection and testing organizations are required to know their legal responsibilities as laid down in the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. They must be able to interpret the legislation and assess the risks in respect of electrical equipment and appliances within their charge or which they are contracted to inspect and test. Training is therefore needed to understand sections 1 to 8 of this Code of Practice.

Managers must also maintain the records of inspections and tests of appliances and equipment and manage the re-inspection and re-testing at appropriate intervals as specified. It is also part of their duties to interpret the recorded results and to take appropriate actions regarding equipment or report to a more senior person within their organization.

Competence to interpret recorded results is usually achieved by appropriate training and experience.

If you think this is not being done then find out who the manager is and report it to him.

Cheers for that, Its tools and stuff we use in plumbing and heating in a domestic enviroment. Most of the drills we use are battery operated but still have a couple of electric drills, jigsaws, reciptro saw and rip snorter. When I heard every 3 months when it used to be yearly to me is extreme. I'll check out the publication out and thanks again.

D

Cheers for that, Its tools and stuff we use in plumbing and heating in a domestic enviroment. Most of the drills we use are battery operated but still have a couple of electric drills, jigsaws, reciptro saw and rip snorter. When I heard every 3 months when it used to be yearly to me is extreme. I'll check out the publication out and thanks again.

D
As a start when first testing without any history I would select 3 months for electric drills, jigsaws, reciptro saw and rip snorter. That is the recommended time for construction equipment.

One of the problems with drills, grinders, etc. Is they may well spend 3 years sitting in a stores and then 2 weeks intensive use. So to work out a time period using history is not always best method.

The legal position is it must be safe to use. As a manager you need to adopt a system to ensure any unsafe equipment is taken out of service. There is nothing to say you must do it in any particular way. For example a shop may get all tested on one day of the year and it would not need to use any stickers. Or you could have a stores system where every item is re-tested before re-issue. But once you depart from the recommendations given in the "Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment" then you need to show you have done a risk assessment and have determined this was the most appropriate method for your equipment. In the main this is problematic and to follow the "Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment" is far the easiest approach.

I have taken over the In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment many times. And am appalled at how many times when I ask for the equipment register I find it does not exist. (That's form V1.1) Even more often the Form V1.5 Faulty equipment register does not exist.

The IET produce as a free download the forms here first section is for installation the second section is for PAT testing. In the main electricians will use some similar layout often software provided by the machine manufacturer often which will auto down load from the machine. I used the Robin version for many years which could print out the completed forms.

The problem with most computer held records is using VB or other software it is often possible to alter records. So as a company we would always print the short form and the guy doing the testing would sign it. This was then filled and the expiry year printed on the file. We hoped there would never be a need to view the paper records. However if something did go wrong we could show the HSE it was tested and by whom. No one could claim it was not them and some one else must have used the machine and not entered their personal code. Because we all knew the paper version existed we would never try to fiddle records. So they were never looked at once printed.

However I have seen where a new ID is given every time an item is re-tested. How anyone can ever show a trend with a different ID every time I don't know. I would guess the whole idea is that it is hard to trace and they hope if there is a problem they can wangle out of it because of the poor records. We have all heard about it. When one rings up the firm and complains about the workmanship we get "We had to let that guy go" and be assured it will not happen again. We all know the method of if it looks OK and no one is watching just stick on a new label.

Using top of range Robin tester in a mixed workshop and office environment recording all the details asked in the Robin software one can expect between 100 and 150 items tested and recorded in an 8 hour day. Some other testers may be slower or quicker according to how long it takes to complete the self test every time it is plugged in. And of course how many times it has to be unplugged and plugged back in.

However when one sees 300 to 500 items per day tested this must ring alarm bells. As a manager you would be failing in your job if you accepted 500 items per day tested without some explanation as to how so many could be tested so quick. Yes it does happen. I was shown to a store cupboard filled with lead sets (Name of the power lead which connects computer to mains) and I was able to rattle through them. But this is unusual.

I would suggest 3months sounds about right to me for portable tools used on construction sites which is used in harsh environments and chucked in the back of a van at the end of every day

Certainly its what the risk assessments and method statements of most main contractors want!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back