paper over paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why can you paper over linning paper , when if you try papering over old paper the paste tends to wet the old paper enough to start it peeling off as if you were trying to strip it
thank you all
stavros

Sponsored Links
It all depends on how it was hung :LOL: If it has been well soaked and applied properly and it isn't a vinyl , washable or heavily embossed, then you can paper over paper , as long as your joints dont fall together and nothing is going to bleed through.

When hanging lining paper -1000 - how long should it be soaked considering i have given the wall a quick going over with paste first ??
thanks folks
Stavros

stavros said:
When hanging lining paper -1000 - how long should it be soaked considering i have given the wall a quick going over with paste first ??
thanks folks
Stavros
At the very least - 20 minutes, I always leave it longer. Hang it too early and it will bubble up. Pasting the wall first is irrelevant to how long to soak the paper.

Sponsored Links
i normaslly leave it about ten minutes..thats plenty.

Its no different to any other paper really..

As for papering over paper..never ever never...papering over lining is fine but as for normal paper id never do it..id rather turn a job down you can have grief at the tops bottoms and internal corners.

You might get away with it..if you dont then you will have wasted your time and the cost of the paper.

If the paper bubbles up ut rarely goes back and it ends up looking like a massice circus tent on your wall.

I've papered a ceiling with blown vinyl over the top of a pebble style anaglypta and it's perfect, as I said : It all depends on how it was hung .

20 years ago I had the artex ceiling problem, I lined it and papered it with blown vinyl - still looks perfect. ;)

I never say never.
Ever.

Can you come and do some jobs for me I need your luck! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back