Picture of the week!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week is a fuse box. It was still live until last week, when the head / meter fell off the wall. The dno arrived and replaced this but refused to reconnect.

Wonder why :LOL:

Kitchen fuse box
kitchenfusebox.jpg

Note the fused neutrals, asbestos and wooden enclosure :eek:

The kitchen fuse box was fed from this mess
IMGP1916.jpg

I refused to reconect it too :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I refused to reconect it too :LOL: :LOL:[/quote]

some people are so fussy! :D

Truly one for the black museum. Your camera must be red hot.... :D

Sponsored Links
Hi RF,

WOW - The head and meter fell off the wall :eek: Judging by the state of the area around the second fuse box I'm not surprised. Where is it located?, looks like some damp old basement from the picture.

That install makes some of the bad ones I've seen look decent. What option does the owner have to get their supply reconnected, I'm assuming a rewire would be the only one given.

Out of curiosity what are each of the fuses for and were there any other fuse boxes in the property?

All the best
Dan

I'm not certain as there wasn't much point me stopping too long.

A wider view of a very damp cellar. (No bonding either!)

IMGP1917.jpg

I think the fuse box on the left fed the kitchen submain and maybe the sockets. I don't know what the fusebox on the left does. It looks to have a plastic cable leaving it.

We are going back monday to fit a temporary 1 way board and a couple of sockets so she can at least have a light on the stairs, and boil the kettle.

It is for a little old lady, and will be a proper nightmare rewire, if she can even afford it.

*shudders*

Do you get hazard pay to go into places like this? The state of that kitchen wall & ceiling... they must have the stomachs of donkeys!

RF Lighting said:
I think the fuse box on the left fed the kitchen submain and maybe the sockets. I don't know what the fusebox on the left does.

That's all very well, but what does the fuse box on the left do?

never seen nothing like that before :eek:

Shocking :!:

Thats one awful looking cellar, sent shudders down my spine looking at that pic. The gas meters not looking too clever either, that'll be next when the table its on rots away :eek:

Is it me or is the new board the cutout/meter/isolator is fixed to getting damp already at the edges?

I'm sad to hear its an elderly persons home but not that surprised either given the pittance (sorry i mean pension) the government gives them to survive on. At least on Monday she will have some power restored for essential stuff.

All the best
Dan

A few sockets on a radial would be reasonably inexpensive. She could use table lamps to save the cost of rewiring the lighting circuit. I was hard up once and had a similar arrangement in my first house until I did a new installation. Are there no grants available?

send her shopping for a few hours and burn the place down....

looks like it would be better off...

I've done a few houses on the Aviaries, and none of them were that bad ;)

I really shouldn't post this pic, but here is her cooker

IMGP1920.jpg

Its not fire damaged either.

Very sad. She seems like a lovely old lady, but it's not the first one I've seen like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back