Please give advice! Electricity meter - asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm really hoping someone can put my mind at rest about something that's worrying me, especially as I have a nipper.

I bought a Victorian terrace 3 years ago and the electricity meter is in a under-stairs cupboard. The supply wires go under the floor boards and are encased in, what I thought, was just black electrical tape. I'm now worried that this is actually asbestos sheathing having seen something on tv recently. What do you folks think? I'd really appreciate your input

image share

image sharing sites

Sponsored Links
Why would asbestos in it concern you? I assume you don't plan to disturb it (This would be a VERY dangerous idea), so nothing to worry about.

The presence of asbestos is of no concern unless it's in poor condition, or you plan to disturb it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Phatboy, you're right I don't plan to disturb it, I was just concerned that there are frayed edges that could be releasing fibres, if it is asbestos containing material.

It's only certain types of asbestos which are a problem anyway
I think that's pretty poor advice which contradicts the HSE and official position.
Which official position? I'd rather take the advice of the medical research into it which suggests that the dangers from some types are absolutely minimal than the frenzied "we must get rid of every scrap of asbestos now" paranoia of those who might have a vested interest in all the work and extra regulatory costs which can be generated from such.

And even in cases where the more dangerous types of asbestos are present, in many cases it will result in far more dangerous exposure by trying to remove it all than by just leaving it in place and sealing it for the rest of the life of the building.

Yes, some types of asbestos can be harmful, that is proven, but the level of paranoia about all asbestos now seems to be reaching the same levels as that about substances containing lead (you should see all the disclosure paperwork here about the possibility of lead-based paint when buying or selling a house built prior to about 1978 or 1979!).

Yes, some types of asbestos can be harmful, that is proven, but the level of paranoia about all asbestos now seems to be reaching the same levels as that about substances containing lead (you should see all the disclosure paperwork here about the possibility of lead-based paint when buying or selling a house built prior to about 1978 or 1979!).
I spent most of the first 30+ years of my life getting all my drinking and cooking water through lead pipes.

Kind Regards, John

So they say. I suppose it's got to be caused by something! Maybe we should all stop eating, drinking, and maybe also breathing?
That would seem to be the best option, 'they' will just keep finding things we've been eating for years that are bad for us.
Indeed.

However, to be serious and philosophical, cancer has also been with us for ever, and it's probable that environmental factors - such as what we eat, drink. touch and breathe (or are otherwise exposed to, like sunlight) have got an awful lot to do with it - so they might even be right about some of the things they point fingers at.

However, I wonder if 'they' have considered what would happen if (as is not impossible) we managed, 'overnight', to find ways to either prevent or cure all cancer (and, even worse, also prevent/cure all heart disease and strokes) - it would presumably cause a sociological and economic catastrophe of unimaginable proportions!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back