Plug for Ikea lights

Sponsored Links
Probably made by a company called Finecom and now discontinued.

A 12 volt AC unit in the same style of case is here at a Canadian surplus stock disposal company

http://azsurplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3962

ikea_abn481803_12vac834ma_1.gif

As suggested buy a 24 volt DC power module and change the plug on the lights to suit it. Not sure how to determine the polarity. Is the flat pin the Positive or the Negative pin. ?

As suggested buy a 24 volt DC power module and change the plug on the lights to suit it. Not sure how to determine the polarity. Is the flat pin the Positive or the Negative pin. ?
It presumably would only matter if the lamps were LEDs and I can't think of any likely situation in which it would do any harm to get the polarity wrong with LEDs (they just wouldn't work) - so it might just come down to trial and error.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's a good idea to have them the same way round, so maybe there was (is? - does anybody use those awful things for speakers any more?) a convention for wiring them.

It's a good idea to have them the same way round, so maybe there was (is? - does anybody use those awful things for speakers any more?) a convention for wiring them.
I imagine that there was/is - but I don't think one could readily translate that convention into "+" and "-" when being used for a DC power supply!

Kind Regards, John

<a picture of speaker terminals labelled "+" and "-">]
Another quiet day, I see :)

I don't doubt that those "+" and "-" labellings have a conventional meaning in terms of speakers (e.g. that cone more forwards when the "+" terminal is more positive than the "-" terminal), but I still wouldn't have any confidence in translating that for use of speaker connectors for DC power (if it were going to matter if I got it wrong).

Kind Regards, John

It would be nice to start with an educated guess ... And get it right first time.
As I said, I really don't think it would be the end of the world if one got it wrong first time, so I personally would be happy with trial and error, maybe starting with an educated guess!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back