Plug in wall heaters - scam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m and am sure a lot of others too, keep seeing these online ads for these low energy plug in the wall ceramic heaters costing circa £20. I think they’re a scam or even if real, only give out a small amount of heat and are probably a fire hazard.

Are all electric fan heaters the same in respect of efficiency? They all heat up an element which the fan then blow out the hot air. How can we search for an buy a more energy efficient fan heater.

I’m used to buying the £15 2kw ones on Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Are all electric fan heaters the same in respect of efficiency?
In practical terms, yes. All energy input gets converted to heat. Even the kinetic energy of the moving air and fan noise ends up as heat.

Sponsored Links
In practical terms, yes. All energy input gets converted to heat. Even the kinetic energy of the moving air and fan noise ends up as heat.
But not necessarily equal in terms of effectiveness, that is making you feel warm.

Three ways to heat the body, inferred, heat pump, and resistive. How ever we also need to consider losses, and speed.

First losses, I had a house with hot air central heating and it cost a lot to heat as the hot air was being blown across cold single glazed windows.

Speed is another thing, if one needs to turn on the heat an hour earlier clearly one uses more energy.

But the small heaters are more akin to electric blankets, idea is not to heat room but just a small area of the room, many years ago I converted a 2 kW fan heater so instead of two elements in parrellel, it had either one element or two elements in series. the very low output resulted in the heater not switching off. This worked, but it was only a caravan.

But not sure I would want all the heat at the plug.

The choice between heaters is, as said, to deliver the heat to the right place. A convector will start by heating the ceiling. A radiant heater will make your face feel warm first if it's pointing at you. A fan heater will make the air around you warmer if it's pointing at you, while making a certain amount of noise.

Infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared infrared

Tried a dozen times with my speech to text and it was spot on every time.

I don't know, I just touch the microphone icon on my keypad and it works.

How would I find out?

There is three ways to move heat energy, conduction, convection, and radiation. The conduction would only work with an electric blanket, so left with convection and radiation, the radiation uses electromagnetic waves in the infrared spectrum which can pass through some glass, and air without heating it, and heats the body direct, however it is instant, so as soon as turned off it stops, so one can't use a mark/space ratio to control it, only way was with say a 4 bar heater having one to four bars switched on, and the thermostat will not really work with it.

However for years we did use it, until the government stopped us, what we did was heat the air to say 18°C and use the infrared so it felt like 20°C switching it on only when using the room in the dark. We called this clever system tungsten lights.

When I moved from tungsten to compact fluorescent I also had to fit a programmable wall thermostat so the day and evening temperatures changed at the same times as when I would have switched on the lights.

So in the winter the tungsten bulb saves energy, but since we normally heat with gas or oil, not money. However with infrared heating it is important to close curtains, as it can pass through older glass. Today glass is coated to stop infrared passing, but it needs to be the right way around.

There is a BBC review on the small plug in fan heaters, the pod cast is here they point out like infrared as soon as it switches off, you feel cold, so one tends to keep switching it up.

The review seems to be down to control, what one wants is just enough to keep you warm, then you want a heater which gives out a continuous heat, if the heat output switches on/off you will feel cold every time it switches off.

So the water or oil filled radiator may have the heating input switches on/off, but the heat output is continuous, it acts as a buffer storing the heat when on so it is still giving off heat when off.

It seems not down so much to heat given into the room, but that the heating is constant. So a smaller fan heater will switch off less, so likely will make you feel warmer for longer than a large fan heater, but the oil filled radiator it seems is best for making one feel warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back