Plug top wired incorrectly!

il78 said:
One group you missed.....

The DIYers who "think" they have done a decent job....but in fact its totally sh*t......

They fall into group 2. They think that they are in group 1.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, Ian.

I can do most car maintenance, but choose a Skoda dealer (alright, so the car is still under 3/60K warranty, but this would still be true if it wasn't) to do the work.

In fact, there's a perfect case in point. He asked me to look at a small electrical problem in the back office - I ask him to service the motor - neither of us would do the other's job.

Aristarcus said something once about an unrelated topic, but it is relevent here on this topic.

It is a wise man who knows his limitations, a wiser man who thinks he can rise above them, but the wisest is the man who puts it right when the wiser man has failed

Sponsored Links
Well I wouldn't pay anyone to throw a set of pads into my CX500 - nothing could be easier. My lady got a set of pads in a fiesta at a Ford dealership and guess what - they forgot to put the retaining spring back on one side. real pros.. I'm with journey

Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok

Aaaaanyway, I too never touch safety critical components of my car as I would feel a right wally if the wheels fell off at 70mph, to put it lightly. After a 4mph incident involving a kerb and some ice I paid heavily over the odds to have my suspension repaired by Vauxhall. Mainly because I hoped they would do a better job than a non-franchised mechanic, also because I thought if the suspension collapsed and caused an accident then I would have more comeback.

In terms of the DIY electrics I hope I fall into category 1, I have never attempted any electrics without fully researching it first, and I certainly DO have experience of electricity, electrical theory, circuit design, fault finding, testing or even health and safety. And I have never done anything "hoping it works". But I always worry in case I am a category 2!

However, there is yet another side to this DIY story. Some of my friends have had to call in professionals after reaching their DIY limits. Now, tradesmen must see some pretty shocking DIY work in most of their jobs and have a right to tut and shake their head at the work they see before themselves. However most of my friends are chartered engineers and literally fume when they see the term "engineer" written on the van when the guy is not acknowledged as an engineer by any engineering body (IMechE, IEE, IoP etc etc.).

So whilst a DIYer may think he is a good electrician, there are tradesmen of all types actually posing as engineers (although I do realise that we have plenty of actual engineers here!). If we made the title of engineer as sacred as doctor then people could not legally use it unless they were actually an engineer. Those who were could charge more than those who weren't, and it would give yet another yardstick for people to judge how good the job might be.

Wow, this is off the original topic! :LOL:

FWL said
...weeks rally course with Gordon McRae (Colin McRae's Father)

There is an ex rally star ( 70's & 80's) named Jimmy McRae, (father of Colin and Alister) drove for Opel, Ascona 400 and Chevette 2.3
Very pleasant fellow.

P.

There was a Rally driver in the early and late 1970s called Gordon McRae. I don't think he was the father of Colin and Allastair as pipme has said, but I think he may have been an uncle or something like that. I know this Gordon McRae used to operate a Rally school somewhere, I think it was somewhere near the Brecon Beacons. Later it was moved to the Keilder Forest. Does that help?

Damn i keep getting redirected to this motoring forum instead of the Electrics forum!

Just wondered.

Do any of the regs cover electrical installations on boats?

When part mono'p'oly come in to force, will I still be able to carry-out work on boats?...

Shhhh, don't say anything to the electrical organisations they might include this next!!!

Multitech said:
There was a Rally driver in the early and late 1970s called Gordon McRae. I don't think he was the father of Colin and Allastair as pipme has said, but I think he may have been an uncle or something like that. I know this Gordon McRae used to operate a Rally school somewhere, I think it was somewhere near the Brecon Beacons. Later it was moved to the Keilder Forest. Does that help?

Seems my memory is not infallible! He and pipme could well be correct, damn it was almost 20 years ago and I am very likely to be possibly wrong.

It is likely I made a connection that may not be there because of the name...still, it's not actually important, the fact I don't drive like a **** is though :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back