Plugs, fuses and ratings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a TV with a plug that is hard wired in. I need to remove the plug to feed the cable through a small hole. Now, the plug on the TV is marked 5A 250V. I've found another old plug marked 13A 250V. If i use the old plug on the TV with a 5A fuse would everything be ok?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
yeah no probs, main thing is you change your "new" plug to a 5amp fuse, which you can take from the sealed one your removing

Thats what I thought. Cheers BigJon.

I can understand the sealed plug being marked to advise what size fuse should be used with the TV. But the spare plug could be used for anything - so is the 13A the max rating the plug can handle?

Sponsored Links
thats the old advice i heared years ago.

5A seems to have become common with low power extention leads and also seems to be seen prefitted a lot in low power appliances that would really be better off with 3A ones (anyone know why?)

7A has come into prominace because of some (widely ignored) british standard involving use of extention leads with equipment that produces high earth currents.

all the others are rarely used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back