Rewiring a French plug to UK plug - question about fuse

Thanks guys. Winston1, if I understand you correctly, it's safe to keep the 13A fuse, but it would be safer to use a smaller rating (5A as you pointed out). Did I get this right? (sorry for the 'newbie' question - I really know nothing!).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it's safe to keep the 13A fuse, but it would be safer to use a smaller rating (5A as you pointed out). Did I get this right?
Yes. Assuming the lamp was all correctly wired with the proper size cord originally, then using a 13A fuse in the plug in Britain it will just as safe as it was in France. But if there's no reason to need the 13A fuse, then using a smaller one will provide slightly greater protection. What is the actual rating of the lamp (in watts)?

Hmm, has a rule changed somewhere? I have noticed that 0.5mm used to be fairly common but in recent years it seems 0.75mm is the minimum size you tend to see in appliances/cordsets.
I was always under the impression that France (and many other European countries) adopted 0.75 sq. mm as the minimum size years ago due to running on 16 or 20A circuits and that 0.5 sq. mm is a particularly British/Irish thing, thanks to fused plugs. Last time I checked in the U.K., 0.5 sq. mm flex was still being made for domestic use, but no doubt with so many appliances being sold Europe-wide these days many manufacturers have switched to 0.75 sq. mm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Winston1 and PBC_1966 for clarifying!

What is the actual rating of the lamp (in watts)?
Maximum 300 watts. To be honest, it's so bright, 100 watts works just as well (I have used both in France).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back