5A BS 1363 plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another thread was talking about fuse sizes in plugs and I therefore started to take note.

I found a BS 1363 plug well marked 5A with a lead marked "XD RVV WGX3C PVC WIRE GP" and a socket marked "KKS 10A KKCK" an IEC 60320 C13.

It does not say 5A fuse fitted although there is a 5A fuse fitted it simply says "5A" maybe common but first time I have noticed a 13A plug marked 5A.

I wonder how many I have missed and I would have when PAT testing not checked for such a marking so could have passed a lead set like this with a 13A fuse installed.

So how common is it for lead sets with BS 1363 plugs to have 5A moulded into the casing?

Sponsored Links
If it's a moulded 13a plug it's fairly common with IT kit.

Regards,

DS

I found a BS 1363 plug well marked 5A with a lead marked "XD RVV WGX3C PVC WIRE GP" and a socket marked "KKS 10A KKCK" an IEC 60320 C13. ... It does not say 5A fuse fitted although there is a 5A fuse fitted it simply says "5A" maybe common but first time I have noticed a 13A plug marked 5A.
I certainly have never noticed one, but I would guess/assume that the marking relates to the entire plug+lead+socket assembly, not just the plug. I thought that anything described/marked as a BS1363 plug would at least have to pass the 14A plug/socket temp-rise test - in which case I'm not sure what would be meant by a "5A" one, or whether any such thing would be compliant with the Standard. Was this a moulded-on plug (for which requirements probably differ)?

We might need stillp here, although I don't know whether he will still have access to the relevant documents in his retirement!

Kind Regards, John

Yes all moulded the fuse was marked "Made in England" but no manufacturer info on the lead. For me now not a problem it will only be used with 5A stuff but first time I have noticed a 13A plug marked 5A and I wonder if I have passed any with 13A fuses in?

As a moulded lead it is marked 5A one end and 10A the other end so would be easy to not realise it's a 5A lead.

Sponsored Links
When testing flexible cables with BS1363 plugs on one end and an IEC C13 socket on the other, the fuse I specify is dependent on the size of the cable. 0.75mm² gets a 5A fuse, 1mm² (or larger) gets a 10A. These are the maximum values, if the flex is used on a very low-power item, then the fuse value may be reduced to 3A, 5A or, exceptionally, 7A. In the case of C5 or C7 IEC sockets, as these are only rated at 2.5A, irrespective of cable size, I install 3A fuses.

As an aside, I have come across IEC cables (often from the Far East) which feel considerably thinner than usual. Almost invariably these fail the earth bond test, and get chopped up and put in recycling.

We might need stillp here, although I don't know whether he will still have access to the relevant documents in his retirement!
Some of them John, but BS1363 is in the car, and it's blowing a gale outside so it can wait!
I just picked a couple of laptop leads out of my desk drawer; one is BS1363 to an IEC kettle plug, and the 1363 is labelled 5A although Kitemarked. Another is a figure-8 lead, with the mains plug marked 3A. :eek:

Some of them John, but BS1363 is in the car, and it's blowing a gale outside so it can wait!
That sounds very sensible!
I just picked a couple of laptop leads out of my desk drawer; one is BS1363 to an IEC kettle plug, and the 1363 is labelled 5A although Kitemarked. Another is a figure-8 lead, with the mains plug marked 3A. :eek:
As I said earlier, I rather suspect that you are probably going to tell us that things are very different for moulded plugs (plus whatever they are moulded onto) - although it probably will end up begging the question as to what a 'current rating' (other than 13A) marked on a moulded BS1363 plug actually means!

Kind Regards, John

" :eek: "?

The first doesn't seem to make sense, but the second certainly does.

it probably will end up begging the question as to what a 'current rating' (other than 13A) marked on a moulded BS1363 plug actually means!
Surely it means that the maker has made a pre-wired assembly of BS 1363 plug, some flexible cable, and possibly (usually?) a connector at the other end, and the whole assembly is rated at what it says on the plug.

it probably will end up begging the question as to what a 'current rating' (other than 13A) marked on a moulded BS1363 plug actually means!
Surely it means that the maker has made a pre-wired assembly of BS 1363 plug, some flexible cable, and possibly (usually?) a connector at the other end, and the whole assembly is rated at what it says on the plug.
That's roughly what I was implying - and I suppose it would be fair enough if BS1363 does cover, and specifies tests for, such a 'whole assembly'. However, that would certainly not explain eric's lead, in which the plug was marked "5A" and the connector at the other end was marked "10A"- those two markings could obviously not both be the rating of the 'whole assembly'!

Kind Regards, John

The overall rating would be determined by the rating of the fuse in the plug, obviously :( i.e. 5A as marked.

Kind regards,

DS

The overall rating would be determined by the rating of the fuse in the plug, obviously :( i.e. 5A as marked.
Unless the fuse is not replaceable, the fact that the plug is marked 5A does not guarantee that there is a 5A fuse inside it. Whatever, if it is a single moulded 'assembly', I don't think any of that excuses it having "10A" marked at the other end of eric's lead! I suppose I have to agree with you that if, contrary to common sense, some 'assembly' comes marked with two different 'current ratings', then one has no choice but to assume that the lower of those currents represents the actual 'rating' - but that shouldn't happen!

Taking your comment literally, putting a 5A fuse into a (re-wireable) 13A BS1363 plug would not reduce the 'rating' of the plug to 5A, would it?

Kind Regards, John

The OP is refering to moulded plug MARKED 5A fuse. Not a rewirable 13a BS1363 plug.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back