Plumbers & getting a quote/price

mgheating said:
in your case, think of a number and square it
But my bishop is full of fish - should I fry him or sew up the wound?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
great posts! tx. Ok so in summary plumbers are a busy lot.. probably too busy to handle customers like they should in an ideal world. So the result is they get snowed down with other stuff and if u're lucky they'll get back to you with a quote.

So best thing to do when u find someone recommended to you, bring 'em over, treat them like a king, let them do whatever, and just pray that u ain't gonna get bent over and get the wrong bit of plumbing action :eek:

sounds like i'm in the wrong profession!

plumbers are a busy lot.. probably too busy to handle customers like they should in an ideal world.
Yup!

Yesterday I spent 3 hours NOT solving someone's problem. Can't charge for that! Bring on the violins. Never mind, twas a nice person.

Well put Softus.

I dont do quotes either, especialy when they come on and ask for a quote without specifying make and model. All my work is word of mouth.

Repair work is almost all I do. Cannot see me go to a boiler to give a quote when the repair would take less time.

Alternative is charge for the quote.

ChrisR said:
how do you guys normally work your own quotes out?

Easy - either
1) add up all the bits prices, consult the books on how long it should take, add in your overheads, allow contingency, travel, parking, then markup, and double it

2) think of a job you've done which was similar, and think how much you should have charged, then double it

3) Think of a number and double it.

you must be very rich ;)

I can do a quote while someone calls me.

I dont do visits just to give quotes unless I expect he wants me to do the work. I charge for a written competitive quote if he wants that as a specification to hawk around. Usually about £100.

As the OP says, if you are experienced at doing work then you know whats involved and what things cost.

I give a verbal budgetary quote over the phone and if that is acceptable then I go round and confirm it and take a written copy.

Tony

If you gave a proffesional quote and charged for it-say £100 as Agile put it-wouldn`t this mean you had to do less work to earn the same income.That £100 would be refundable if you got the job.
Win- win situation for both parties.
Would never give a quote for nothing and as for quoting for a repair, your `avin a laaarrrrffffff!

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back