Plumbing a shower pump in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to plumb in a shower pump into a loft area as it will not fit elseware. Happy with all the ins and out of doing this with one exception. How do i / is it necessary to protect the pump against frost. All other pipework will be lagged.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Make a structure like a tent over thepump, leaving enough space so it doesn't overheat (see manual). Remove loft insulation so it gets heat from the house, and put insulation over the tent.
Hope you don't forget the concrete or you'll be sorry!

I find it a bit hard to sleep on the roof let alone what the tele. Mmmm . Thanks for the help though. And back to the subject in hand....

Hadnt thought of making a tent could work i suppose although wouldnt need cement as i can build a platform for the pump to sit on.

Does anyone know of any other ways to protect from frost. I thought there maybe something electical along the lines of a frost stat :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I am assuming that from your comments that:

1 you dont think it is necessary to protect the punp from frost
2 from your user name you know what you are doing?

i don't know how good your loft is insulated or what the temp drops to.
but i take it you have never suffered a frozen pipe or any probs in winter in your loft.
it's very rare you need to insulate a pump. also insulating a pump can cause more problems with over heating.

No problems with pipes although insulated.

Know what you are saying about overheating which is why i wasnt keen on the other post.

Will keep pump as it is.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back