porch trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am erecting my porch trusses with a gable ladder on the front. the drawing to erect the porch with all the bracing is clearly marked on the plan. i was just wondering if you had to tie the porch into the existing house or would it be strong enough on its own. also the plan shows the first truss 50mm out from the house do you think it would be better flush against the house any opions would be welcome many thanks

Sponsored Links
for convenience sake we sometimes fix the starter rafter or truss to the building as it adds stability whilst the roof carcass is being built. this will also afford some lateral restraint.
once the strapping timber and roofing battens or lathes have been fixed then the whole roof becomes stiffened. spans of 2m or greater have to be strapped into any gable masonry too.

lean-to roofs have to be bolted to the main structure via a pole or wall plate, as part of the build requisite.

don't worry about a 50mm gap, the lathes will easily carry this and be better for nailing. same thing for the plasterboards below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back