Possible Speeding Ticket

However, on asking for her driving data to be released, she was pointed to a clause in the small print:

"We will not provide you or your representatives with your driving information for use in civil claims or criminal investigations or proceedings."

So whilst they will penalise you for bad driving (by way of higher premiums), the insurance companies won't help you prove your alleged innocence.
Thus giving themselves another opportunity to hit you in the pocket!

Does anyone know if the new GDPR legislation could force disclosure of such data?

I'm undecided as to whether the data actually exists???

Sponsored Links
existing points/or previous course? - tbh it was borderline for speed awareness. but it sounds like you were robbed.

Next time offer them a donut.

Neither. Next time i’ll shoot an RPG at the van ;)

Wait until notchy sees that :whistle:

But back to the 'possible speeding ticket' topic...

A youngish relative of mine got issued with a speeding ticket, and she is adamant that she was not speeding at that time/place.

She has one of those telematic boxes fitted in order to reduce the ridiculous insurance premiums a bit.

However, on asking for her driving data to be released, she was pointed to a clause in the small print:

"We will not provide you or your representatives with your driving information for use in civil claims or criminal investigations or proceedings."

So whilst they will penalise you for bad driving (by way of higher premiums), the insurance companies won't help you prove your alleged innocence.
Thus giving themselves another opportunity to hit you in the pocket!

Does anyone know if the new GDPR legislation could force disclosure of such data?

I thought these black boxes came with a system where you could access the data yourself, to check how good/bad driving actually is.

Who owns the data? It might be one for the Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis to get his teeth into.

I assume she was caught by a camera?
Who owns the data indeed!

It was a local fixed camera, but there has a been a bit of controversy over it's siting/accuracy.

(As for that Lewis guy, will never trust him after he reckoned student loans were the best thing ever - only to backtrack somewhat when the full effects (that he was told about) came into effect!)

Sponsored Links
I thought these black boxes came with a system where you could access the data yourself, to check how good/bad driving actually is.
Maybe some do, but the 'rider' is with the insurance company as to what it can be used for apparently.

Unless someone knows different?

If you want to challenge the prosecutions case its pretty straight forward.
- you plead not guilty.
- 7 days before the trial they must release all information that they wish to rely on.
- you ask an expert to review the evidence, request adjournments etc as needed.
- you take your chances with the magistrate - they will listen to reasonable defences

You should be able to prove the speed looking at the distance travelled and time stamp.

Not always, they can be bi-directional.

Look up the camera on Google StreetView, if it doesn't have the black lines just before the triple white lines, then it doesn't work in your direction.

View attachment 147674

Well it looks like the camera works both ways. I have just received an NIP saying I was doing 38 in a 30. Can I ask for evidence? It will be my first offence.

That’s pretty quick in a 30 zone.

Does it mention speed awareness course?

It goes from 50 to 30 back to 40.

Did you have to pay a fine based on your income?
Does it not say anything about the fine in the letter? They used to have a photo too, at least that's what they used to do around here. I've not had a fine since the laws changed.

You were in band A, which is the less serious of the bands. That's 25-75% of your weekly wage, but you may get lucky and get hit with the £100 plus 3 points or get offered a speed awareness course instead of points.

Does it not say anything about the fine in the letter? They used to have a photo too, at least that's what they used to do around here. I've not had a fine since the laws changed.

You were in band A, which is the less serious of the bands. That's 25-75% of your weekly wage, but you may get lucky and get hit with the £100 plus 3 points or get offered a speed awareness course instead of points.

Does the income related fine only apply if you contest the NIP and go to court. How would they know what your income is?

Does the income related fine only apply if you contest the NIP and go to court. How would they know what your income is?

I was requested to attend court for speeding, about 12 years ago.
I plead guilty by letter.
The court sends you some forms, where you declare your income, and outgoings.
From this, they set the level of fine, iirc.
So, it may be based less on your income, but more on your disposable income......

Fill the form in, send it back and you'll find out what they decide to do. You may well be lucky with first offense.
The police have a choice, to issue a fixed fine and points, send you straight to court or offer you an awareness course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back