potterton puma 80 dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im appealing for some help/ direction with my puma 80.

flame not firing upon either demand, fan running slowly, air flow switch appears ok, flow switch operating. had an engineer out who carried out various electrical checks and pinpointed no increase in voltage to fan upon demand. being unable to source a transformer locally he had to continue on to another job. i then sourced a transformer all be it a secondhand one and having fitted the transformer there is no improvement. i cant check voltage to fan but would ask if anyone has any further thoughts on my situation.

no heat for four nights now, she's not happy

please help?

Sponsored Links
What kind of engineer wrongly diagnoses a fault and then leaves you to try to fix the boiler.

Its most likely to be the PCB at fault but there are also other tests to be done by a competent engineer before changing that.

If you called the engineer to diagnose the fault then call him back.

Tony

thanks for your swift reply,

i honestly feel the engineer is doing his best for me , i am just looking for further inspiration.

ive fitted new pcb, temp sensors prior to the trans diagnosis.

Blimey you do like wasting money.

If you carry on you will have a new boiler by spares.....

Stop trying to sort it yourself and either get an engineer who knows what he is doing or get a fixed price repair from heateam

Sponsored Links
thanks for your responses I am awaiting contact from my engineer but while waiting with the weekend fast approaching I was seeking further help. Changing a pcb which as you will testify are unreliable wasnt a bad place to start i can pass on once sorted if pcb ok, not money wasted.

Havn't had many constructive replies though, wonder why?

as it stands no more contacy from origional engineer and not looking forward to weekend not knowing if i can get any one out to aqssess.

ihave a question following trawlling forums

1. hot water demand triggers flowswitch followed by red led, when tap off takes approx 10 secs for fowswitch to return and led go out.........IS THIS DELAY EXPECTED?

i honestly feel the engineer is doing his best for me , i am just looking for further inspiration.

ive fitted new pcb, temp sensors prior to the trans diagnosis.

It all sounds as if its YOU who are trying to repair your own boiler.

I suppose you have not paid this engineer and just asked him for a free diagnosis of the problem.

This is a pretty simple boiler and if there really was any engineer involved then he should have known how to diagnose the fault.

Why dont you call Mike Bryant as he is in your county?

Tony

i can see how my posts read out, but the engineer involved does exist but to explain the events and contacts would take for ever. I have read many of your posts and shall try and contact mr bryant passing on your recommendation, cheers

Thanks for pointing me in Mikes direction , I have made contact with him and discussed symptoms.

In the meantime another engineer has just seen boiler and has also been unable to fire up either water or heating, he has also recommended an alternative engineer who he discussed my symptoms over the phone with and who I am now waiting to return my call.

I will have to try and organise an appointment with Mike as 5 nights going on 7 without heating/water is becoming unbearable, I will post any developments when available but may I just say that any communications on this forum have been little more than patronising and condescending.

To those wishing to assist I would welcome your assistance

I would suspect fan bearings, can you spin the fan by hand in the off position :?: If not try appyling some wd40 to the fan bearings. ;) ;)
If OK order new fan for next time you get this problem. If not OK get new fan now.
spraggo

Is the pilot alight ? cant see how it can be the fan if your not getting voltage to it ?

I would suspect fan bearings, can you spin the fan by hand in the off position :?: If not try appyling some wd40 to the fan bearings. ;) ;)
If OK order new fan for next time you get this problem. If not OK get new fan now.
spraggo

This thread has all the hallmarks of someone whose only contact with engineers seems to be to get free advice so that he can fix it himself. So far he has had two engineers visit neither of whom seem to be able to diagnose the fault or perhaps he just does not want to pay them.

I did suggest Mike and he has spoken to him again apparently only to get free advice rather than a visit if they are close enough.

I see that as totally inappropriate advice to suggest touching the fan for a DIYer who should not be opening the combustion chamber.

Furthermore using WD40 in a boiler is also highly dangerous as the profellant is extremely flamable!

Tony

Ive read many posts over the last couple of days, many responses and lines of advice from you Agile. I have noted many remarks made by other contributers to these posts and am now falling into the category of those who conclude you wrongly make assuptions & observations about the person requesting help.
I did not request a visit from MR BRYANT, who was unavailable until monday at the earliest, as I wished to resolve my problem sooner. It was left, as he will I hope vouch, seeing as though you will no doubt check, that from leaving him an initial message to him contacting me I had requested the attendance of a second engineer.

The engineer today spent approx 75 mins checking over the symptoms & efforts from the first original engineer. He also has been unable to activate my boiler but left me the number of a contact who was once a potterton engineer. I am awaiting his response but if it pleases Agile I SHALL arrange a visit from MIKE BRYANT now and cancel when not necessary.

I had thought to see if the issue could be resolved locally, it hasn't, and only came on here requesting information as I had no fixed appointment/visit in place.

In future I shall book any number of engineers at 2 hourly intervals and once we have it resolved I may cancel the remaining ones or maybe not

I see that as totally inappropriate advice to suggest touching the fan for a DIYer who should not be opening the combustion chamber.
Tony[/quote]

Does a diyer have to open the CC to spin the fan then :?: :?:

Furthermore using WD40 in a boiler is also highly dangerous as the profellant is extremely flamable!
Tony[/quote

Please note I did advise that the boiler be switched off before applying WD40, which is highly inflamable while atomized

spraggo

Retired CORGI

Thanks for your advice Spraggo, the fan has been checked over by both engineers who see no problems there. I have tried to give as much detail as possible with regards situation and to update as I expected the weekend has arrived and no contact from local or LONDON based engineers with regards even arranging a visit, hence my efforts to try and glean some spark of enlightenment as to what is the root problem. One wife and three children feeling the effects of cold, one husband feeling cold shoulder, thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back