potterton puma 80 dilema

Sponsored Links
Solo WM **** PF

Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply at last I have found a RGI that knows what I am talking about and also know what he is talking about. This issue came about because I claimed that one could spin the inner fan in this way on the Potterton Puma. although the cooling fan is situated between the fan motor and the outer casing of the combustion chamber on these boilers. And of course the boiler case door is not sealed.

Regards
spraggo

And of course the boiler case door is not sealed.
That statement is wrong, there most certainly is a seal on the door, assuming you mean the inner panel, which is the reason you are getting so much abuse.
Your best bet is to admit you are confused over the naming of boiler parts/panels etc. rather than keep digging a hole you can not get out of.

Sponsored Links
Used to have one of these boilers. Broke down as soon as look at it towards the end of it's life. I tried everything with it (short of whipping it with a branch) It would work for a few months, then just stop. Every time it was something different.
First time it broke down , it was the fan. A corgi chap took the fan out and cleaned and greased the bearings on the motor. This lasted about a year, then the PCB failed, He repaired the copper tracks on the back of it (apparently a common fault) This got it going for a few months then the PRV let by. New one installed, then the perm pilot wouldn't stay lit. He put a new thermocouple in which lasted about a month before the pilot went out again. New gas valve put in. Worked fine for 5 months then something else went and the ex had the whole boiler replaced. I reckon in 18 months we probably spent enough on it to have had a new boiler.
Just a thought there. When you can buy a new boiler for say £700,,, When you look at the cost of spares online, If you added all of the spare parts for a boiler together, you could practically build a new boiler for about 4 or 5 times the cost of a whole boiler.!!!
Why do they charge so, so , so, so, much for spares??? :?: :?:

Joiner john your experiances and sentiments are almost identical to my own. with the money I have forked out to get this up and running along with the costs incurred having to take three days off work a new boiler would not have been that far out of my reach.
The touble now, is that with my recent experiences I,m forming the opinion that many BOILER ENGINEERS are glorified fitters who excluding their gas safe registration are no more experienced in fault diagnosis than I when stood with the fault diagnosis literature from potterton in my hand.

And of course the boiler case door is not sealed.
That statement is wrong, there most certainly is a seal on the door, assuming you mean the inner panel, which is the reason you are getting so much abuse.
Your best bet is to admit you are confused over the naming of boiler parts/panels etc. rather than keep digging a hole you can not get out of.

The whole point that I was trying to make is, that by removing the un sealed front cover of the casing this is not illegal. But removing the inner combustion chamber front panel is. And that you can spin the fan as stated with out removing the inner combusation chamber front panel which is sealed. Does that make sense??.

Spraggo, you do apparently understand how rthe boiler is arranged.

But you are not admitting the real facts!

This is a room sealed boiler and the outer combustion chamber casing creates the integrity of the room sealing.

Thats why it should never be removed by a DIYer and as an ex-RGI you should certainly not be advising anyone that its safe for a DIYer to open it.

Tony

Spraggo, you do apparently understand how rthe boiler is arranged.

But you are not admitting the real facts!

This is a room sealed boiler and the outer combustion chamber casing creates the integrity of the room sealing. Thats why it should never be removed by a DIYer and as an ex-RGI you should certainly not be advising anyone that its safe for a DIYer to open it.

Tony

It seems that I am being understood. I am quite aware that the outer combustion chamber casing creates the integrity of the room seal. But the outer white front cover of the boiler casing is not room sealed, so surely it can be removed by a Diyer or a plumber, for instance to carry out unrelated gas work. Please visit www.aonly.com and select manuals library-Potterton Puma 80. Which shows that the front white cover is not sealed and that the inside of the white casing is open to the atmosphere by the fact that the connection pipes etc are extending from inside with no seals. Is this correct.??.

spraggo

ladies, ladies, we seem to be drifting away from the point here

first, lets not confuse fitters with engineers

I presume from the OP's posting that it is a PPilot pcb if it has a slow speed fan, If sao, then the fact that it runs at slowe speed would indicate that the transformer is OK. The slow speed fan is run drom a tapping on the primary of the transformer via RL1 on the pcb. It would also indicate that the fan is prolly OK as, if the bearings were shot, it might have problems runningt as slow speed. You can checkthye bearings by flicking the metal cooling rotor on the shaft between the notor and the can and listenig for worn bearings

The problem could lie with the pcb (has it burned in the corner where the Tx comes in ?)
Is it seeing a call for heat ?
is the temperature sensor OK ?

Hi Geof!

Spraggo, nowbody has bsuggested that a DIYer cannot remove the white cover.

However that does not expose any of the fan. To see that the outer combustion chamber which provides the room seal needs to be removed which is a no-no for a DIyer.

Tony

Hi Geof!

Spraggo, nowbody has bsuggested that a DIYer cannot remove the white cover.

However that does not expose any of the fan. To see that the outer combustion chamber which provides the room seal needs to be removed which is a no-no for a DIyer.

Tony

I can only assume that this is a wind up. You know dam well that if the white cover is removed you can see the fan casing bolted to the flue duct. On the right hand side of this fan casing you can see see the fan motor, and between the fan casing and this motor you can see the the motor cooling fan. As I have already explained, you only need to spin this cooling fan, which is easily accessable without opening the combustion chamber, to test that the fan is free and not making any bearing noises.
So instead of winding me up why don`t you and all the others involved admit that I was right and that I was not attempting to mislead the Diyer?.

spraggo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back