Power fluctuations

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a week ago I noticed the lamp in our living room randomly dimming (plugged in to a standard wall socket). It's got a halogen bulb and was quite cheap so I assumed it was on the way out and made a note to get a new bulb.

Last night I noticed the led bulbs in the ceiling lights flickering every few minutes. I turned the lamp on and it was dimming in time with them.

I have just noticed the bathroom extractor (on the downstairs lighting ring) slowing down every few minutes.

What would cause this?

Last night when it was happening we didn't have anything other than the lights and TV (Inc sky box) on. This morning the dishwasher is going.

Sponsored Links
You might have a loose connection somewhere on the lighting circuit - even at the Dis Board? Are the other circuits in the house working normally?

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Ask three doors up/down are they getting the same? Since houses often fed from three phase supply often next door not on same phase, so not just next door to ask but a few around you, if so in one way good news it is supply not something in house, but need to phone DNO to fix it before it get worse, unlikely your house if sockets and lights have same fault, likely in the street, but if a neutral fault it could damage things in your house, so need checking.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
You might have a loose connection somewhere on the lighting circuit - even at the Dis Board? Are the other circuits in the house working normally?

The lamp is on a socket ring rather than a lighting ring. I've not noticed anything wrong with anything else.

Sponsored Links
The lamp is on a socket ring rather than a lighting ring. I've not noticed anything wrong with anything else.

Lighting is not wired on rings.

Most modern electronics with switch mode power supplies won’t be affected by small dips in voltage.

Contact your DNO ASAP.

Most modern electronics with switch mode power supplies won’t be affected by small dips in voltage.

Contact your DNO ASAP.
The Lamp no doubt has a socket and is stand alone on this occasion...

Even the manufacturers have recommendations for lighting rings:
upload_2021-1-27_1-35-50.png

50 yards is pretty close.

For a DNO, in the huge majority of users, "I'm in London" or "I'm in Leeds" will be near enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back