Precautions when turning gas back on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I shall be away for about 6 weeks this summer, I intend to turn off the gas supply at the meter. Do I need to do anything special/take any precautions when I switch back on (or even before I turn off?) I have a fairly new condensing boiler and don't want to do something stupid to break it. Obviously I'll set the timer to 'off'. I saw that report about the explosion this weekend and it made me think.

Sponsored Links
Nothing particularly special,

Although not likely to be an issue, turning the boiler off will leave the house without frost protection as well as the anti-pump seize feature.

If you're paranoid about a gas leak, why not get the system checked out by a professional.

Having a leak and turning the gas off when you're away is a bizarre if you ask me.

I don't see anything wrong with turning off the gas during the summer. Don't do that in winter when you want the frost protection to work.

DO leave the power connected to the boiler but the CH off at the programmer ( HW too is not a combi ).

That allows the boiler to exercise the pump every day to prevent it from seising up.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back