Turning off gas at mains (new boiler)

If you feel you need to turn something off the water is more of a risk than the gas going faulty in an empty property.

Sponsored Links
Martyndc88, not sure what you mean by turn on gas switch on boiler.
What I intend to do is:

Set all timer settings to OFF
Turn off gas at mains

On return:

Turn on gas at mains
Set HW to ON

Do I need to switch off the timer at the mains too??

There is no ON/OFF switch on the boiler, just the water temp. knob.
Just wanted to check that this procedure won't do any harm or cause problems when we get back.

Many thanks to all who have replied on here, by the way.

I always turn my water and gas off when going away.

Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean to say they are not out to get you ;)

Sponsored Links
i would argue turning the ECV on and off all the time would cuase a leak, or maybe even lock the meter out if your unlucky. Just turn the timer off, and leave it be. Your boiler may have a anti-sieze function on it, which if you tuner the gas off, will cause it to lockout.

An anti sieze function only spins the pump. It doesn't start the boiler.

dont see an issue this time of the year, unless we are actually in the ****, weather wise.anyway if it makes you feel better. just turn the gas off as you mentioned. if it leaks as someone has stated then it basically aint doing its job then. but will be sorted if an issue. mainly and most important. id turn the water off. as iv been to houses all year round that have been devestated by flooding due to just going on holiday. leave the boiler on.in case the boiler has anti pump siezure. which most do. ps by the sounds of it you have worcester junior. which does have this.

Martyndc88, not sure what you mean by turn on gas switch on boiler.
What I intend to do is:

Set all timer settings to OFF
Turn off gas at mains

On return:

Turn on gas at mains
Set HW to ON

Do I need to switch off the timer at the mains too??

There is no ON/OFF switch on the boiler, just the water temp. knob.
Just wanted to check that this procedure won't do any harm or cause problems when we get back.

Many thanks to all who have replied on here, by the way.

i mean switch boiler back on b4 using it as u will make it lock out. doing what you said is fine and will not cause any damage to the boiler. leave power on for anti siezure ect, just pray we dont have a sudden change in weather, if your sceptical about your gas why not your water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back