PRICING. CAN WE ALL AGREE ON HERE

:D :oops: I'm going to leave it as is so that others can see how daft it came out, hopefully you got my drift :p

Sponsored Links
ok i've asked how much to pay on this forum - not because i'm wanting to say joe bloggs could do it for this much - just to know wether £1500 is a good price or not.

the example of the bags of soil etc on gardening forums doesnt get asked as people dont mind £40 here and there - but when your talking a few grand then yeah course people want to know if they're being ripped off.

go to AVForums - where people are spending similar amounts on tv's sound systems etc and they get asked the same question if £900 is a good price for a samsung le46b650 - and for those in the know or who have purchased one recently they can respond. for goods people can often search themselves online and get a good comparison of items - with services its alot harder to know.

if you dont like the thread then dont respond. its a choice thing.

unfortunatly we live in a society where dishonesty does exist. and with the programs on tv such as builders from hell etc people are alot more wary so they do want to feel that the price quoted is the going rate. course if the customer at the end turns around and says i want to pay £100 less than what you quoted me then you have a signed contract where it says the quoted price - i signed one when i had £8500 work done on my basement conversion and i fully expect to sign one now too.

we're not asking to rip potential contractors

and if this is the sort of questioning this forum doesnt want - then make it a sticky with regards to this.

There was also a programm on T.V called I believe customer's from Hell , I don't suppose there are many tradesman on this forum or any other that have not been ripped off by customer's !!!
If I give you a price to change a boiler , that is the price !! what is not acceptable , is a customer after being told the price , after the work is done , tham posting on some forum , asking wether they have been ripped off !! or trying to negoiate a price reduction because they found the product was X amount on E.Bay ect ect , suplieing & fitting a boiler is different to you purchaseing a T.V or video !!!

Sponsored Links
but thats my point - there's nothing tangible about services - items you can google shop for all day long and compare the prices

but for someone who has a big job done maybe once in 10 years etc how are they meant to know what the going rate for a boiler refit or a bathroom installation is?

its only advice we're asking on here not a quote we can print off and show the guy - oh mrxyz on forum so and so said that the going rate is £500 not £1000.

as your aware rip off's exist on both sides of the fence. just as a contractor you'd like not to be ripped off the same is for the customer BEFORE hand - i'm not saying after the job is done either.

But how can any of us , make a judgement on what a particular job is going to cost based upon a forum post ??? with respect to a boiler change ect ect ??? obviosly if some one was going to charge £500 to change a tap washer than obviously they are being ripped off !!!
My advice to anyone considering changing a boiler , get B.G in to give you a quote first , BUT do not tell any other's that subsquently price , some customer's I go to state had B>G in to give me a quote , tell's me something straight away ??? & any way if some one tell's you what they will charge to do a job before they do it , how are you being ripped off ??
If you went down to your local T.V shop & buy a T.V for X amount , than subsquently find the same model cheaper else where , how can u say u were ripped off , most supermarket's are ripping u off & if it ain't you it's the farmer or supplier , do you care ????

Love the central heating thread sensitive plumbers outraged customers hilarious

My personal favourite is the Ideal boiler thread its like the monty python 4 yorkshiremen sketch.

One thing the internet has done is take away some of the mystery about professions INC boiler fitting, people have more info now and can research things better and get a better idea of price and why not?.

After years of the OOOOOOOOhh (sharp intake of breath) merchants who come round and say 'its gonna cost yah' Like we dont F**kin know its nice to see a bit more clarity.

Mind you once you have agreed a price THATS IT ...............BOTH ways

I doubt that there are any sensitive plumber's or heating installer's on this site !!!!

The problem is some one can alway's undercut some one else , that's the way it is , I could do it , you may well find various imfo on the internet , & perhap's it is causing confusion ???? as opposed to helping ??? who know's ??
The problem with some customer's they will alway's think they are being ripped off , programmes like builder's from Hell are taking a very seriuos subject & turning it into a comedy show , for cheap laugh's , viewer rating's ect ect , as for being ripped off , go to the dentist , vet , lawyer's , banker's , biggest rip off perpetrated on joe public ?? by the computer indusrtry with the millleniumn (2000) change over < that was a rip off !!

My solicitor asked if I was interested in having her colleague extend a planning consent.

This involves completing a six page application form and sending a cheque for £170.

The price quoted for perhaps a couple of hours work was from £1175 to £1762 plus the £170 application fee.

For prices like that I could supply and fit a new boiler!

Tony

I kin hate rogue traders, the tarmac one was the best, they got quotes for about £3000.00 to do the job properly, then got the bad guy who said £750.00, then the Asian guy knocked him down to £650.00 :eek: !! well suprise suprise it was a bodged job and you couldn't put a motorbike stand on it, ooooooohhh aint they clever, like you really thought it was gonna be a top class job FFS :evil:

As some one else said, it's a comedy show, when they got the dodgy gas fitter illegally useing a gorgi sign ect, where was the corgi inspector, where was the HSE inspector, where was the trading standards guy, kin no bloody where to be seen :evil:

stupid stupid programme.

and seeing as you have hijacked your own post PVM :D

I despise 60 minute makeover !!! how misleading is that???? and that silly MM T**T wielding a trowel or screwdriver :rolleyes: and then going off and begging local traders 'on camera' to donate 'Give Away their Profits' and not even most of the time to a worthy family - often just to some lazy Know Nothing failed DIYers! and Yes I can be derogatory about her being female myself!

and seeing as you have hijacked your own post PVM :D

I despise 60 minute makeover !!! how misleading is that???? and that silly MM T**T wielding a trowel or screwdriver :rolleyes: and then going off and begging local traders 'on camera' to donate 'Give Away their Profits' and not even most of the time to a worthy family - often just to some lazy Know Nothing failed DIYers! and Yes I can be derogatory about her being female myself!

I like your style ;) yes it's my thread and isn't doing well :LOL:
I think you should be able to be derogatory regardless, if they are an assshooole they are an assshooole, male female animal mineral vegetable, plenty of them driving faulty BMW's, well must be something wrong as the indicators dont work and they never seem to be able to stick to the speed limit, or maybe the accelerator pedals are made by Toyota :rolleyes:

the example of the bags of soil etc on gardening forums doesnt get asked as people dont mind £40 here and there - but when your talking a few grand then yeah course people want to know if they're being ripped off.

if you dont like the thread then dont respond. its a choice thing.

People also post asking about £40 jobs as well.
Anyway whatever comparison made, no-one minds people searching prices but again this is a DIY advice forum,

that's DIY - Do it Yourself, asking trades for tips to overcome problems for those who have DIY skills.

If you don't like the forum, Find a price comparison one and s** off to it. It's a choice thing- choose a relevant forum thing.

but thats my point - there's nothing tangible about services - items you can google shop for all day long and compare the prices

but for someone who has a big job done maybe once in 10 years etc how are they meant to know what the going rate for a boiler refit or a bathroom installation is?

its only advice we're asking on here not a quote we can print off and show the guy - oh mrxyz on forum so and so said that the going rate is £500 not £1000.

What going rate? There is no going rate, just as there's no going size, shape, or accessibilty for a bathroom or boiler fit. How do you establish a going rate, on a nationwide forum, from organisations which have no business connection with eachother? What's the going rate for a wh*re? some charge £20 others £2,000. Grow some b*ll**ks and engage with real people, down the phone or in the face, and ask for a starting from price then if you like it commit to a visit. That may be chargeable which I suspect might be what some people sh** themselves from hence the number of posts on here.

hardworking tradesmen :D

sadly the only tradesmen i know think starting at 8 and finishing at 1 is a days work.

lazy shysters the lot of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back