Problems after replacing a pump

So I did that bit right then!

So i have turned the heating on full, without the water on........still no heat from any of the radiators.

What now?????

Sponsored Links
The pump is in vertical.....

The pump was running when i took the screw off the front, and some water came out of there as well, but it was just a dribble.

thats normal did you check the head tank and bleed the vent at the cylinder

other than that sleep on it give me a shout in the morning ;)

Sponsored Links
I've not checked the head tank yet, thats a job for the morning I think.........Bleed the vent at the cylinder......whats exactly and where is that?

Thanks for all the help Kev.........time to sleep on it all now, probably be back in touch later.

:)

Are you really sure the pump's the right way round?
Can you bleed water out of all the rads?
Are there any pipes (often coming off the boiler) which go up then down without a branch - ie so air could get trapped?
Is the pump noisy?
Pump valves open?
Just occasionally, putting the pump in backwards temporarily can get the pipes full of water. Easy to do with new valves!

Hi Chris...........
I am quite sure the pump is in the right way round.....
I can bleed water out of all of the radiators......
When the water is being sent round the pump, it does seem a bit noisy, as if its full of air...if that makes sense

Morning Kev..................

I am pretty confident that both pump valves are open, but i didnt find the cylinder vent.

Could you explain what i am looking for and where it could be please...

Another thing, when the heating is on for a while, the pipes that run to the radiator in the bathroom are heating up. Nothing in the radiator itself yet though. Could this be pointing towards a blockage in that rad?

pipe from the valve goes into the cylinder usually there is a stub of pipe with a cap on to vent the air out

have you bled the rad /s

wouldnt think its blocked if it worked ok before

There isnt anything like that, that goes to the cylinder.

Gonna try the pump the other way.................

An update on my situation.........................

I switched the heating on and opened up the drain valve on the rad down stairs. Eventually hot water started to come from the drain valve, so i left it draining for a while........hoping that any air would be moved out of the system and replaced by fresh water. Loads of air came out, so now I have closed the drain valve and bled the rads, starting from the furthest point.

So here it is, I now have hot radiators upstairs, but still cold down. Will this just take a while to warm up or could there be another problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back