Problems with Potterton boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First up, I should say I'm no DIY expert so I expect to call a plumber out for this, but I'm hoping for some idea of what's wrong first!

I moved into a flat with a Potterton Suprima boiler 2 months ago and I've had problems with my hot water ever since...

The survey revealed that the boiler was cutting out, possibly because of a defective pump. When I moved in I couldn't get the heating & hot water working and a plumber deduced that it was because the pressure had dropped. He re-pressurised the system and voila, it worked.

Two months later it stopped working again. I checked the pressure and sure enough it had dropped, so this time I repressurised it and again it worked.

That was two weeks ago. The pressure has dropped a little bit since, but my hot water's now being temperamental. The boiler fires and the green light comes on. All is well for a few minutes then it cuts out, the green light flashes, and everything stops. A few minutes more pass and it fires again, green light becomes constant, all is well again. Then it cuts out again... you get the idea.

Could this be related to the problem with the lack of pressure or is this likely to be something different?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a dodgy pump, clogged system or some air that needs bleeding.

A flashing green light means that the boiler thinks it is hot enough and is waiting for the temperature to fall before re-firing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back