Pump Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading a few posts regarding the wiring of pump showers (less than 3A)....

yes or no...... Spur off a lighting circuit? majority rules!!

Sponsored Links
I am against. 3A rated pump, start up surge could easily trip a light cct that has already a largish lighting load.

Also I ALWAYS use an RCD where electricity, water and people mix in a bathroom.

sparkyM said:
Spur off a lighting circuit? majority rules!!
Yeah why not. Or you could go the whole hog and spur off the doorbell transformer.

Sponsored Links
Some beefy power showers draw around 40 amps, depending on the pump chosen.

I'm not qualified to give an opinion but here is my view as an amateur .... spurring off the light socket sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

Your pump may only draw 3 amps now but the next owner, in ten years time, may upgrade the unit to something more powerful. If you are going to spur, at least spur off the mains with a 13 amp fcu. Preferably give the shower its own circuit from the CU with a 45 amp MCB.

Reynardine said:
Some beefy power showers draw around 40 amps, depending on the pump chosen.
You seem to be getting confused between shower pumps and electric showers.

I'm not qualified to give an opinion but here is my view as an amateur .... spurring off the light socket sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
Except that there wouldn't be any waiting.

Your pump may only draw 3 amps now but the next owner, in ten years time, may upgrade the unit to something more powerful.

If you are going to spur, at least spur off the mains with a 13 amp fcu. Preferably give the shower its own circuit from the CU with a 45 amp MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back