Shower pump plugged into lighting circuit

OK, thanks to everyone who's contributed :)
Learnt lots fitting this pump :)

The pump get very hot, 90 degrees, so that's a ceramic floor tile under it, which I thought was better than wood or carpet.

noted regarding the cable, and fixing properly.

Sponsored Links
Am I the only person who thinks 90° is too hot?
If we're talking °C, then you are undoubtedly not the only person. If it's °F, then that probably wouldn't be unreasonable, given that H & C water are flowing through it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's 80-90°c, not F.

I noticed it after installing, and checking for leaks whilst the pump was running. Put my hand on the casing, the middle section, it noticed to was too hot to touch.

I emailed the pump maker. they replied with:
Thanks for contacting Salamander Pumps

All pumps get hot in operation approx 80-90°
We do not suggest touching the pump due to the temperature of the casing in operation.

All of the pumps have thermal protection so if the temperature got too high the pump would shut itself down.

So, yeah, it's hot alright.
Never did feel the old when when it was operating. Maybe they all do get that hot.

If you're asking whether is is likely to be "1mm² or 1.5mm²" cable, then the answer is yes. If you're asking which of those it is, it's hard to tell from the picture - but it doesn't matter, since 1mm² would be more than adequate for your purpose.

Yes it does matter. The regs say that 1mm can only be used for lighting so it has to be 1.5mm. That would also apply to the whole circuit as it is no longer a lighting circuit.

How about if you change the "upstairs lighting" label on the CU to say something like:

6amp radial circuit

Where's the reg for that then?

Are you saying I cannot run a length of 1mm² cable, with a 6A MCB to power a set of smoke alarms?

You crazy person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back