Shower pump plugged into lighting circuit

I don't think it is anything to do with an inadequate definition but total lack of reason for Table 52.3 when there is nothing in the regulations which states anything similar.

The table is obviously flawed as it allows 0.75mm² flex. to be used for anything.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is anything to do with an inadequate definition but total lack of reason for Table 52.3 when there is nothing in the regulations which states anything similar.
Well, that Table is part of 'the regulations' - but I agree that is one way of looking at it.

I don't think any of us understand why there needs to be a minimum size of cable for any circuit, provided that it is adequate in relation to the OPD of the circuit. However, whatever their thinking, if they do want to include such a Table, then it also cries out for definitions of the 'types' of circuit to which the Table refers!

Kind Regards, John

I don't think any of us understand why there needs to be a minimum size of cable for any circuit, provided that it is adequate in relation to the OPD of the circuit
As well as adequate mechanical strength, and being large enough to fit the terminals of devices.

As well as adequate mechanical strength, and being large enough to fit the terminals of devices.
Agreed. However, mechanical strength does not really depend upon the 'type' of circuit. In context, if they felt that 1mm² cable was inadequately 'strong' for non-lighting circuits, then it would make little or no sense for them to allow it for lighting circuits. As for the conductors being 'large enough to fit the terminals', and again in context, I don't think it likely that there would be a significant problem 'fitting' a 1mm² conductor into a terminal which was OK with a 1.5mm² conductor, do you?

The other way around, it obviously could be the case that there were problems fitting too large a conductor into terminals, particularly in light fittings, but the Table we are discussing only states minimum cable sizes, not maximum ones.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I was just responding to your general statement that "I don't think any of us understand why there needs to be a minimum size of cable for any circuit, provided that it is adequate in relation to the OPD of the circuit"

I was just responding to your general statement that "I don't think any of us understand why there needs to be a minimum size of cable for any circuit, provided that it is adequate in relation to the OPD of the circuit"
Well, it was not really intended as a 'general statement'. As was surely apparent from context, I was talking about BS7671's requirement that the minimum CSA for a non-lighting circuit (whatever that is) is 1.5mm² (unless it's a flexible cable!). However, you were obviously free to extend the discussion more generally.

Kind Regards, John

Agreed. However, mechanical strength does not really depend upon the 'type' of circuit. In context, if they felt that 1mm² cable was inadequately 'strong' for non-lighting circuits, then it would make little or no sense for them to allow it for lighting circuits. As for the conductors being 'large enough to fit the terminals', and again in context, I don't think it likely that there would be a significant problem 'fitting' a 1mm² conductor into a terminal which was OK with a 1.5mm² conductor, do you?
But there might be a problem fitting a 1.5mm² conductor of a "power circuit" into a (perfectly valid for a "power circuit") terminal large enough to take 16mm² ones. And that would not be prevented by Table 52.3, so the idea that the table is there to guard against small conductors in large terminals falls at the first hurdle..

But there might be a problem fitting a 1.5mm² conductor of a "power circuit" into a (perfectly valid for a "power circuit") terminal large enough to take 16mm² ones. And that would not be prevented by Table 52.3, so the idea that the table is there to guard against small conductors in large terminals falls at the first hurdle..
Quite so.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back