Shower pump plugged into lighting circuit

So, yeah, it's hot alright. Never did feel the old when when it was operating. Maybe they all do get that hot.
Interesting, and surpriisng. I can't see why they should get that hot, particularly when there is water at probably half of that temperature circulating through it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So, don't know if it makes a difference to the debate, but if I'm the only person using this socket....
It doesn't makes any difference - the debate has moved on from being about your socket.

Which is fine, BTW - perfectly allowable and no reason whatsoever to worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Apparently yes, because they are not lights. Don't ask me why, I didn't write the regs.
There is no way that you will get away with that.

Of course you must be asked why you refuse to agree with what the Wiring Regulations say, and of course you must answer.

There is no way that you will get away with that.

Of course you must be asked why you refuse to agree with what the Wiring Regulations say, and of course you must answer.

The regulations say that 1.0mm cable can only be used for lights.

The regulations say that 1.0mm cable can only be used for lights.
No they don't - they state lighting circuits only and not lights only. I believe it can be argued that a circuit predominantly for lighting is a lighting circuit although I agree that a circuit exclusively supplying smoke alarms cannot.

No they don't - they state lighting circuits only and not lights only. I believe it can be argued that a circuit predominantly for lighting is a lighting circuit although I agree that a circuit exclusively supplying smoke alarms cannot.
I agree - and it's yet another example of inadequate definitions in BS7671. However, in this case I don't necessarily blame them, since any attempt to define 'a lighting circuit' would probably lead to some silly situations, so maybe they decided to leave it to common sense.

However, as you indicate, it's still anomalous. Whilst I agree that it would be hard to argue that a circuit exclusively serving smoke alarms (or an intrude alarm, or any other very low-power devices) could be described as a 'lighting circuit', there is no rational reason why (assuming an appropriate OPD) it could not be wired in 1mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back