Shower pump plugged into lighting circuit

Thanks for the replies all.

In answer to some of the questions:
What circuit breaker is protecting the circuit and how much load is on it?
It's connected to the breaker that does the upstairs lighting.

And also, is this lighting circuit protected by a 30mA RCD?
In the breaker box, if that's the right term, is a 30ma RCD, but it's for the sockets and cooker circuits.
The lighting circuits are not protected by the RCD.
It did strike me that when I was testing the OLD pump (it was leaking), when it was spewing water out, it was a tad dangerous (water + electricity!)
Would you say having such a device on a circuit not protected by an RCD is a very bad idea??

You've put a socket on the lighting circuit?
Yes. So the lighting circuit cabling in the loft was connected to a "box" which had a 3a face plate on it, which was then connected to the OLD pump.
I replaced that face plate with a socket faceplate, and plugged the the NEW pump, on a fused plug, into that socket.

I personally don't like the pump up there at all. I just don't like a) a water pump in my loft possibly leaking b) a water pump heating up to 90 degrees in my loft.
I believe the pump was fitted by some kind of cowboy plumber/DIY'er, along with quite a few other amateur things around the house.
Until I can get my hot water pressure sorted by someone who knows what they're doing though (suspect I'd be better off with a pump next to the cylinder), I just replaced the pump.

One other question...
What type of cable (i.e thickness) should be used to spur off from the lighting cable to the socket box?

Sponsored Links
I replaced that face plate with a socket faceplate, and plugged the the NEW pump, on a fused plug, into that socket.

Well that is totally wrong. If you must have a socket on the lighting circuit us a 2 or 5 amp BS546 type.

OK. googling that shows lots of round pin sockets.....
I've got a pump with a standard plug on it, with a fuse in the plug.
Can you explain what's wrong with a normal socket faceplate?

13 amp sockets are not fitted to lighting circuits as lighting circuits are generally 5 amp not 13 amp. One day someone, feeling cold in the loft, will unplug the pump and plug in a fan heater plunging the house including loft into darkness.

Remove the existing plug from the pump and fit a round pin one ,2 or 5 amp.

Sponsored Links
What if the pump draws more than 2A? Many have an FLC of 5A.

Ask him to tell you what Regulation 559.5.1(v) says.

When you girls have finished arguing about what does not really matter. The more important issue is this:

And also, is this lighting circuit protected by a 30mA RCD?
In the breaker box, if that's the right term, is a 30ma RCD, but it's for the sockets and cooker circuits.
The lighting circuits are not protected by the RCD.
It did strike me that when I was testing the OLD pump (it was leaking), when it was spewing water out, it was a tad dangerous (water + electricity!)
Would you say having such a device on a circuit not protected by an RCD is a very bad idea??

This is very important, especially where water + electricity + people meet. It will be a requirement of the installation instructions, and we like to follow those, don't we?

Instead of a socket, My suggestion would be to fit a suitably fused RCD Spur to the feed to the fan.

When you girls have finished arguing about what does not really matter. The more important issue is this:

This is very important, especially where water + electricity + people meet. It will be a requirement of the installation instructions, and we like to follow those, don't we?

Instead of a socket, My suggestion would be to fit a suitably fused RCD Spur to the feed to the fan.

Except that fused spurs are NOT used or required on lighting circuits.

The correct way of doing this is an FCU off the ring or radial socket circuit. That will involve taking a feed to the loft but the correct way of doing things is always harder than the incorrect way.

Thanks, Ban.

I think 559.5.1 should be extended with:

(x) an electronic transformer.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back