Punto heater blower - no speed 1 or 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2002 1200cc 8V

Only have speeds 3 and 4 so presume there's a burnt out resister like there was on my Rover 45 some years back.

Any ideas if the device in question is any where near the blower switch ?

Sponsored Links
There's a UK Fiat Forum where you might get some help. My daughter has an older (2007) Punto and they're famous for the wiring loom to the heater fan burning out.

http://www.fiatforum.com/

Don't know if you resolved this but resistor is located on the blower itself, in passenger footwell.

The resistors are a FIAT only part and are not cheap to buy. What I discovered was that the wires and connectors joining to the resistor (with a clip) had actually melted. I therefore, bypassed connector for the live feed wires by hard soldering to the terminals.

To test if resistor is ok, just wiggle the wires and connector to the resistor and you might find the fan works as it should at different speeds, until you let go.

Sponsored Links
For anyone interested, I've had the Punto for a major service over weekend and followed up on the heater fan speeds.

It is indeed the resistor unit at fault.

I got hold of a Haynes with an electrical diagram and have used the multimeter to identify a break between 1/2 and 3.

Contact 4 is the only one direct to the blower motor, hence no speeds 1 or 2.

T4 (speed 4) - black/grey wire.
T3 (speed 3) blue/red wire
T2 (speed 2) green/black wire
T1 (speed 4) grey wire

T4 connected directly to motor
T3 connect to T4 via x1 resistor
T2 connect to T4 via x2 resistor
T1 connect to T4 via x3 resistor

Back