Qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you get qualifie to isolate the incomeing suply to pull the main fuse and add an isolator between there an the DB

Sponsored Links
This is something only the DNO's do at the moment.

If you are expressing a wish to train to do this sort of work, you need to talk to them.

Sponsored Links
It is not so much the qualification but the permission which is the problem. Only the DNO can issue permission to draw the fuse and that is only given to people working for them.

There is an issue with two wrongs not making a right and the HSE requires supplies to be isolated elsewhere before working on a unit. So unless an isolator is provided to work on a consumer unit requires the fuse to be drawn. Many feel they can draw the fuse if the DNO has failed to install an isolator. However this legally is not the case. One should get the DNO to draw fuse and to replace after the work. The law does use the word "reasonable" and as to if it is reasonable to get DNO to draw fuse is up to courts to decide.

There is also the law which says if you commit a crime in order to prevent a bigger crime from being committed then it is not to be considered as a crime. i.e. If you cause an obstruction with your car to stop bank robbers escaping that is OK. However again to courts to decide and unless there was a time constraint like the consumer unit being damaged then I would not fancy your chances.

As to spelling I have just re-installed windows and Firefox and I did have some problems getting spell check to work. It seems you need to down load the plug-in for language used and simply clicking on use spell check is not enough. Look here with Firefox sorry don't use IE so can't help there. I think to criticise on the spelling is rather petty but at least if one is going to criticise then give some constructive criticism. i.e. link to spell checker.

If you understand the problems with ionisation of the atmosphere you would not want to draw the DNO fuse. Those authorised have to wear a fair bit of PPE. Large rubber gloves, goggles, and other flash guard clothing. Of course no nylon that is banned. Anything which will melt rather than just burn is a no no. i.e. no florescent waist coats.

For the DNO to licence they need to be sure the person understands the dangers. I think you would need a C&G2391 but unless you work for DNO then non starter anyway.

As to spelling I have just re-installed windows and Firefox and I did have some problems getting spell check to work. It seems you need to down load the plug-in for language used and simply clicking on use spell check is not enough.
The Google toolbar one works fine.

I think to criticise on the spelling is rather petty
It indicates a slapdash nature, a lack of interest in taking care, a lack of interest in doing a good job.

liam's posts are riddled with spelling and related errors, and that standard of written communication will handicap him in passing exams, getting jobs and getting customers.

A few years ago our local council had some signs erected onto posts

"SHOPPER'S CAR PARK"

One of my Sons thought the subsequent attacks in the local rag a bit pedantic.

Not really, I explained, if you or I were to made the odd mistake in grammar we maybe should be forgiven but a Signwriter being paid to make signs that suggests that there is only one shopper and this is his car park is diabolical.

Talk about the Grocer's Apostrophe (or should it be Grocers Apostrophe? ) :LOL:

Reminds me ofa Big Housing Association a few years back, the head offfice thought that they were the bees knees.
Sent a memo round to branches.

"We find that some of you are making too many errots!"

errots ha ha ha , it backfired on them with a vengeance

If you understand the problems with ionisation of the atmosphere you would not want to draw the DNO fuse. Those authorised have to wear a fair bit of PPE. Large rubber gloves, goggles, and other flash guard clothing. Of course no nylon that is banned. Anything which will melt rather than just burn is a no no. i.e. no florescent waist coats.
Just our of curiosity ..... Whilst I'm all in favour of safety, and of respect for that which needs to be respected, what hazards (other than contact with the live feed, either carelessly or due to distintegration of fuse or holder), needing of the degree of protection you indicate, do you envisage could result from pulling a DNO fuse that was carrying no current? (and, since spelling & grammar have been mentioned in this thread, I suppose I should add that I'm sure that my old {'Victorian'} English teacher will be turning in his grave at the sight of that sentence :))

Kind Regards, John

Sorry TTC you got that back to front - but I think you know that :D

Just our of curiosity ..... Whilst I'm all in favour of safety, and of respect for that which needs to be respected, what hazards (other than contact with the live feed, either carelessly or due to distintegration of fuse or holder), needing of the degree of protection you indicate, do you envisage could result from pulling a DNO fuse that was carrying no current? (and, since spelling & grammar have been mentioned in this thread, I suppose I should add that I'm sure that my old {'Victorian'} English teacher will be turning in his grave at the sight of that sentence
The precautions are not solely there because of the equipment being worked upon. Rather the approach is that when working in the vicinity and on any live equipment the PPE shall be worn. OK fair enough the gloves only when pulling/replacing the fuse and when actually working on the cut-out.
There have been incidents, however, where seemingly healthy cut-outs have failed when disturbed by the removal of the fuse carrier in a lot of cases it is in the lower part of the cut-out in the cable crutch

Many feel they can draw the fuse if the DNO has failed to install an isolator.

There is no requirement to install one.

i.e. no florescent waist coats.

All the stuff issued to us is flame retardant so if you see DNO staff wearing one it is because it is safe (and we'll be wearing Nomex underneath it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back